Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:22 AM   #1

I am looking at purchasing the Nikon d40X and have been reading about the lenses that DON'T autofocus. Can you please help with what lenses DO autofocus on this camera. I am looking at this camera based on price so would like a lens that is not too pricey.
cjohnsonsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2007, 2:59 PM   #2

All of Nikon's AF-S lenses can autofocus on it. These have a built in "Silent Wave" focus motor. Note the models with AF-S in their description. You'll need that type of Nikkor lens if you want Autofocus on a D40x (the lenses without AF-S in their description on this page will not autofocus on a D40x):

Sigma's lenses with HSM (Hypersonic Motor) can also Autofocus on a D40x. This recent Sigma press release lists models that will work.

No lenses from Tamron or Tokina will Autofocus on a D40x (at least not lenses they've offered to date).

Now, chances are, more and more lenses with focus motors built will hit the market over time in Nikon mount. So, from a new lens perspective, the choices should continue to expand. You could also use Manual Focus with Autofocus lenses that don't have a focus motor built in (and the camera's viewfinder will let you know when you've achieved focus for the active AF point).

If you're just looking for a "walk around" lens with no special requirements, the D40x can be found with a lens included in kit form. For example, B&H has some D40x kits that include the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 or 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AF lenses (both are AF-S and would Autofocus on a D40x):

Nikon D40x Listings at B&H

The Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens is a popular "all in one" type lens with Nikon shooters and it's an AF-S type lens (it's a bit pricey though, and it's in and out of stock due to supply and demand issues).

If you need a brighter lens (f/2.8 throughout the focal range), I'd probably look at a different camera body so that you'd have more choices, especially if you want to go used since there are a lot of good deals in the used market on lenses. Otherwise, you could spend a lot more for just one lens purchase compared to the price difference in a D40x and D80 .

For example, you could get something like a Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 for not much over $400. But, these won't Autofocus on a D40x and a Nikkor 18-55mm f/2.8 with AF-S so that you'd have Autofocus sells for close to $1,200.

Or, if you wanted something a little longer in a brighter zoom, you can find something like a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 or Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 for under $500. But, these won't Autofocus on a D40x, and a Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 lens with AF-S so that you'd have Autofocus with an f/2.8 zoom in this focal range would probably run you a bit over $1,400.

Some lenses are going to be more suitable compared to others, depending on the subject type, conditions, and if you can use a flash or not.

For example, a zoom lens that has f/2.8 available throughout it's focal range is 4 times as bright as a lens that only has f/5.6 available when zoomed in, allowing shutter speeds 4 times as fast for the same lighting and iSO speed. Ditto for primes you consider. You can get a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF lens for under $100 that's much brighter than the kit lenses with AF-S. But, it will not AF on a D40x.

So, I'd make sure you know what lenses you'll need for the conditions you plan on using a camera in before selecting a body if you want Autofocus and don't want to break the bank.

Your lowest cost alternative for a D40x is going to be one of the Nikkor kit lenses for general walk around use (with the Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 being the least expensive choice in an AF-S type lens). But, if you wanted a lens with a bit more range, I'd probably look at a D40x kit with the Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 (also an AF-S type lens), or perhaps a Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 (also an AF-S lens).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 10:45 AM   #3

Shorter answer:

Any Nikkor lens that indicates it has AF-S (Silent Wave Motor ) in it's product name or description should Autofocus on a D40x

Any Sigma Lens that indicates it has HSM (Hypersonic Motor) in it's product name or description should Autofocus on a D40x

These types of lenses do not rely on a camera's built in motor for Autofocus (since the D40x does not have a built in focus motor, the lens must have one built in to Autofocus on this camera body).

You can use other Autofocus lenses designed for Nikon models on it. But, you'd need to use manual focus with them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:21 AM   #4

Thank you, much appreciated- that makes it easier to understand.
cjohnsonsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:12 PM   #5

JimC has given you a comprehensive answer, but I can add a user recommendation on the 18 - 135mm lens. I have the D40 + 18-55mm kit lens, the Sigma 10-20mm, the 50mm 1.8, and the 18-135mm (the latter bought second hand on Ebay). The 18-135mm is the most used for my photography - candids at gatherings and general flora, fauna and holiday. It is sharp, light, has good reach and is relatively inexpensive. You will need a longer lens if you are very interested in wildlife, particularly birds, but then won't get the 18mm wide angle.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:15 PM   #6

Get the Nikkor 18-200 and start shooting. Many people wasting their time choosing cameras and lenses and have no time to take pictures!

I think D40 and 18-200 is all you need for nearly all kind of pictures.Take a thoundsand pics a month, after a year you will be a very good photographer.

Do not waste your time selecting lenses! Nikon did that for us when they designed the 18-200. :-)

I am using a D200 with several lenses but if I have to choose only one lens it will be the 18-200.

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:00 AM   #7

I totally agree with ruchai100%

but if I were you I would serously think twice about getting a D40x

and go with nothing less than the D80

Right now you are thinking about what lens to use and then next month after you get it and learn it more you will be thinking about what flash to get for it and what you can do to get it to fire the flash wirelessly oooh there is another problem, it will not do that. where as the D80 will fire 3 groups of 100's of flashs wirelessly with the built in popup flash. dont look for the D40x to do that tho.

I just think the D40x is too much of a crippled camera for you or anyone else. I know it is for me

Sure the D80 will cost u a few 100 $ more but boy will you forever think yourself for doing it once you get your hands on the D80

I would buy the Canon XTi before id buy the D40X, and I am a big Nikon fan.

Im not bashing the D40x im just pointing out the short commings of it compared to the D80

If you do insist on the D40x then get the 18-200mm VR and you wont ever need another lens. I have one on my D80 and it is awesome.

good luck but remember once you spend the $ on the D40x and find you are come up short on lens and flash it was yoru decision

not oneI would make for sure

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote