Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 18, 2007, 1:40 AM   #11

personally - good experience with B&H.

a buddy - just had a good experience w/ Abes of Maine - on a D40.

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:20 PM   #12

You can also check the Better Business Bureau site to see complaints on any vendor.

I had an AWFUL experience with one of the many Brooklyn camera internet shops. FotoConnection or Shop4Camera or something was the one. After very explicity placing a phone order and asking multiple times for a domestic camera...I ended up receiving an international camera.

I actually ended up returning the camera and getting exactly what I wanted, for the price I wanted, from Amazon! Go figure.
toddjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 4:51 AM   #13

Is there a difference between a domestic and international camera?
kdmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:19 AM   #14

You can get the Nikon USA camera repaired in the U.S. ;-) Nikon USA will refuse to repair a gray market camera, even if you are willing to pay them for the repair. They'll know by it's serial number if it was intended for sale in the country you live in.

Most of the time, the camera is the same with Nikon models (although there are some exceptions). For example, I can remember Nikon using different color stripes on the grips of some of it's models at one time. But, the packaging may be different (battery charger plugs, manuals, included software, etc.).

With some camera brands, even more may be different between regions. For example, a camera may have region specific firmware that doesn't include your desired menu language (English, etc.), and may not support both NTSC and PAL video output so that you can switch it as desired.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 3:28 PM   #15

In the past I have found:
to have great prices on NON-gray-market cameras.
I would be sure it states "US Warranty" from whereever you purchase - then perhaps you can call Nikkon (?Not sure?) to verify they are an authorized dealer.

csd is offline   Reply With Quote