Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:51 PM   #1

i bought new nikon d 40x dslr on last week on first day it was worked fine with autofocus setting but later it was not responding in autofocus mode but it is working fine in manual focus mode i am unable to find whats the problem is,and it is unable to respond in day light also at autofocus mode please help me for this problem
shameerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2007, 2:50 PM   #2

Are you giving the lens enough room to focus? There's a minimum focus distance.
And are you sure you have the AF-MF switch set to AF ? it's on the front of the camera (not sure if its there on the d40 as wel).
Ow also make sure the lens is properly connected to the camera, you might want to clean the contacts.

good luck.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:01 PM   #3

Is there a possibility that you may have banged your camera? I had a "small" accident with my camera and it was banged while on vacation. I had to take it to the Nikon dealer and it is the autofocus that was affected and it had to be repaired. It affected all our vacation photos that I shot in Europe this summer!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 2:59 PM   #4

Are you sure it was working before? It is an AF-S lens, right? What lens model do you have?

You'll need to go with Nikon AF-S (Silent Wave Motor) or Sigma HSM (Hypersonic Motor) lenses to get autofocus on this model, since it doesn't have a built in focus motor in the camera body.

Remount the lens and make sure it's making a good connection and clicking into place if you have an AF-S lens and make sure the A/M switch on the lens is in the A position.

If the lens has an aperture ring on it, make sure it's set to the highest f/stop number (although newer G type lenses with AF-S won't have an aperture ring).

If the lens does not have a focus motor built in (it's something other than a Nikkor AF-S or Sigma HSM lens), then it won't Autofocus on a D40x. I have seen some vendors trying to package these cameras with lens types that won't Autofocus on it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote