Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 3, 2007, 11:41 PM   #1

I bouhgt a D80 with kit lens 18-135mm couple months ago from Amazon. Everything works out great. Today, I was noring and Itookcouple pictures ofthe ceiling of my house and started to noticea little "dot" on allpictures I took!!!! It looks like a oil stain, and it's not on the lense nor filter since I CAN NOT see it from the view finder.

It only shows up in the picture!!! I don't have other lense totry if it's lense.I went over my previous pictures and found out it was there at very beginning! but it's smaller and lighter...I did cleaned the lense/filter and it's still there... does any one know what's going on and how to take care of it? Or I need to send the unit to Nikon for service?

Attached Images
pickupjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2007, 12:28 AM   #2

I did some research and it seems that it's the sensor has dust. However, I could only find out limited information, at least for now, for how to clean a sensor on a nikon..anyone could offer me a headup? it will be highly appreciated. thanks.

pickupjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 12:39 AM   #3

Hi Jason,
I think what you are probably describing is dust on the sensor. This is quite common and easily dealt with. If this is in fact the problem, you have a few choices...one, you can attempt to clean it yourself with a sensor cleaning kit available at most camera shops. Two, many shops will clean it for you for a nominal fee. Three, do what I do and wait 'til it gets really bad before cleaning it and simply clone out the spots in software, otherwise you'll be bringing it in often as this is one of the frequent issues with interchangeable lens systems.
Although this issue can happen more frequently the more you change lenses, I think yours probably got some on there from the shipping process, etc.

goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 3:07 AM   #4

There could be lots of reasons for this eg greasymark, water stainor dust on sensor

or lens. The 'sensor scope' is a handy tool for sensor inspection :idea:

Here's a few of the many sensor cleaning video's on youtube.

ps. with the camera upright, the bottom of the sensor is the top of the picture

musket is offline   Reply With Quote