Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:22 AM   #1

I was about to buy the camera and lens (separately) when the telephone salesjerk offered an option to upgradeto metal bodies for about twice the price. I thought I'd done all my homework. I didn't know the d40x had an option for magnesium body. Does anyone know about the lens? Then he tried to tell me I needed a 250x SD card in order to get the maximum speed on 'click to capture' or continuous shooting. Turns out there's no such thing as 250x SD.

Then he tells me it's the customer's responsibilibty to do their own research. I asked him how could I know what I was buying if it wasn't posted on their website?When I told him to cancel my order, (because I was already insulted and disappointedand I wantedto do more "research"), he tried to charge me a 'cancellation fee'. Honestly, I went ballistic. I feel like I was getting snaked. I'm about to schmear this online seller's name all over the internet--- in bold capital letters.

The easy part would be to stay away from this seller. But what about the metal bodies? Any feedback would help.
agapegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:01 AM   #2

The D40x does not have a metal body option although I believe it does have a metal frame (not an option, that's just how its made, like all Nikon cameras). It sounds like you are dealing with one of the Brooklyn based camera vendors who specialize in scamming folks. You won't need to smear their name all over the internet...it's probably already been done. Check them out on http://www.reselleratings.com. They lure you in with super low prices then tell you you'll need to buy things like high capacity batteries, the charger, a lens cap and other things that should come with the camera for ridiculous prices, or other special accessories like super high speed memory cards, that eventually raise the price higher than you'd pay from a reputable vendor like B&H, or Adorama. If you refuse to buy the add ons, suddenly the camera is back ordered until the end of time. It amazes me that people still get sucked in by their scam. Anyone who is advertising a price thats more than 5-10% less than B&H or other reputable vendors is scamming. The old adage, "if its too good to be true" applies here as well. Wouldn't you be a bit curious or leary if someone was selling you a car at less than half its regular price?

Camera's with more durable bodies are available, and are usually twice the price of the D40x...the D200 and D300 .
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote