Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 9, 2008, 4:37 AM   #1

While Nikon's infra-red shutter release is handy and I'm sure it works fine, you might be interested to know that there are FAR less expensive solutions that will do the same thing for your D200, D300, D3 etc.

Nikon's ML-3 sells for around $175 at B&H.

EBay has some third-party alternatives available for around $26...radio controlled, battery operated shutter releases that allow you to press down halfway and focus, then take the photo. There's also a bulb option for longer exposures.

There are lots of different models for other cameras.

In the U.S.

For the D200/300 you're looking for the N1 model of remote release. This isn't on a cord, it's a small transmitter with a matching receiver that plugs into the camera's 10-pin socket. Multiple channels to reduce interference.

I don't have anything to do with the seller, I've ordered one after reading several very positive reviews...and it sure beats paying $175. ;-)

reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:14 PM   #2

I have a D80 and all I use is a universal tv remote.
cnip288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:36 PM   #3

The D70 and other models have the infrared port to use remotes...the D200, D300 etc. don't have that.

Just got the "Aputure Wireless Remote" and have tried it out. Better build quality than I suspected, but it's still plastic.

Very nice "feel" on the remote shutter button and it does exactly what it promises.

Sent regular post from Hong Kong and it didn't even take a week.

Verdict: Not bad! In fact, it's very nice! Small enough to fit in almost any side pouch or web pouch inside even a small camera case. Much more convenient than timing a photo, you can take as many as you want via the remote.

This model uses two AAA batteries in the receiver and one 12V/23A battery in the transmitter.

Light on the transmitter unit goes green to focus, red to fire...you know if you have accidentally fired the shot and when you have focused.

Does single shot, multiple shots or bulb.

reader is offline   Reply With Quote