Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 15, 2008, 9:15 AM   #1

The D3 has two live view modes. I want to discuss the one where it is best used for studio shooting. You can zoom in and check for accurate focus, right?

This feature was first seen on the Fuji S3 Pro, right? (although black/white only, but it works!)

But it was critized on the Fuji as nothing more than a gimmick...(not on this website)

Why? But if the D3 has it, it's just another awesome feature!!

1958fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:31 PM   #2

I'll pick the tripod mode...

1. The subject do not move that fast
2. You can put the focus point anywhere with the 3-way paddle
3. The rear LCD screen can be enlarged and stay focused - In the handheld mode you'll more likely be going to move away from where the AF has already locked before the mirror is flipped up
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:47 PM   #3

I like the idea of liveview for some shooting situations. Especially sense they don't make interchangeable viewfinders anymore. (This would probably be worthless on a DX format camera anyway) But I'm to hot on the idea of hand holding the camera while using it. It would make sense if the LCD was movable for low or high angle shots, but not if you just going to hold the camera out in front of you. So I think tripod mode is the way to go.

As for it being a gimmick? I don't think so.
One thing I have notice sense I've been a member here at Steve's, is that the majority of people here seem to be into sports or wildlife photography. These are two areas where liveview would have little or no use. But to a photographer who's bread and butter comes from studio shots of things like … Well …bread and butter. Liveview would be a very helpful tool. But a key factor is the size and quality of the LCD screen.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote