Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:22 PM   #1

Old Flash SB80DX, Can be used with D80?

If it can be used what is different in effect?

omac104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:58 AM   #2

It will work, but it will be crippled. It will only function in manual and non-ttl mode. It is not compatible with i-ttl mode, which is where you'd want to be most of the time. It also will not function in the Creative Lighting system functions. You're better off with an SB600 or Sb800.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:01 PM   #3

Does that flash have an AUTO mode? I have several old flashes I use in the "auto" mode and work fine. I just have to put the camera in manual and set the shutter speed and f stop by the table on the flash for the ISO selected.

I do have an SB 600 as well and would recommend it also for its value and performance.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:34 PM   #4

As RJ said above you wont have any i-TTL on this flash. Though if you put your D80 on Auto, and put the flash on Auto and then set the distance on the flash manually you can get some decent results. Also using it fully manual too is handy helps you learn using a manual flash.

What the SB80DX is great for is an off cam manual strobe. As it has one of the best optical triggers built into it which is what I use mine for. Also it does have much more power than an SB600.

But if you really need TTL and want to use CLS I would say sell it and grab an SB600 SB800 or SB900. or if you want to go off brand you can get a Nissin Di866 all the features of the SB900 without the 200mm range.

The SB80DX re-sells very well too from $130-180US depending on condition. Its also built like a tank.
Zensokustudios is offline   Reply With Quote