Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 20, 2008, 7:47 PM   #1

First up, I don't have any swabs, brushes or other sensor cleaning stuff, but after what I saw on my latest pics, I think I may need a bulldozer instead...

I was just browsing through some of my latest (less then a week old) shots. Owning a D300 has somewhat revived my interest in the D80, mainly because the D300 forces you to make adjustments if you want that perfect shot,, so now I am trying some of those techniques and tweaks on the D80, which is something I hardly did when I had only the D80,, and it seems to be paying off bigtime. I am getting much better at taking the shots now.. Anyway, while browsing through the most recent shots,, most notably, one of an aircraft HIGH in the perfectly blue sky whichI took yesterday morning,, I noticed 3 rock sized dark blurs "in the blue". Two of them were circular and the other like a worm. Of course they only showed up because I used the lens at full focal length to get as much magnification as possible on the tiny aircraft so high up. I guess this bumped up the fstop to a point where the blurs just showed up. This morning, I set the D80 to f22 and aimed up at the beautiful cloudless blue sky -andthere they were - DUST...!!! As large as life. First time...

Now, I am going to try to blow 'em out as I read somewhere that most of it can be easily removed by doing this. I am adventuresome enough to try it and careful enough not to cock it up, so I would like any advice on the procedure from you guys...

Here's how I "THINK" I should go about it.

Camera OFF... Remove lens... Camera ON... Menu... Mirror Lock ON... Press shutter release, to lock mirror in UP position. Use my blower bulb to remove - VERY carefull of course...

Is the procedure right. Can you advise...???

I will wait a few hours for any replies before I get stuck into it.. Gulp...!!!

My brother has a D200 and a few weeks ago he had to do similar and I think he said this is how it should be done...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:04 PM   #2

Actually, I would lock the mirror up, then remove the lens. There will be less air movement inside the body that can draw unfiltered air into the body.

Also, you will probably want to have a strong flashlight and your cleaning supplies ready. If possible, I hold the body upside down or at an angle while trying to remove dust so nothing new can settle inside and anything dislodged will fall away from the sensor. HTH
djand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:45 PM   #3

I had a look inside with my little flashlight and sure enough, even with the naked eye I could see the offending particles, exactly in the position they appeared in my photos. I used the blow bulb a few times but they didn't seem to want to move. So as you said I held the camera body upside down and gave a few more blasts from an angle and the particles disappeared. I assembled it and took another photo,, now there seems to be a few more barely noticable specs - if you look real hard,, but the big ones have gone,, and good riddance to them... I am happier...

I think I will settle for that,, for the moment...

fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote