Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:38 PM   #1

So I've had my D80 (with the Nikkor 18-200mm) for almost two months now. I've put up a gallery online of some of my photos and I was looking for some experienced Nikon photographers to give me some constructive feedback.

If there is a picture you think could have been better, please let me know and let me know what you think I could have done to make it better. I am a beginner so I'm still trying to get into the feel of this camera.

Also, I don't have a pile of money to spend on this hobby at the moment. I would really like to get a macro lens but I'm wondering if investing in a flash instead would be more useful. What do you guys think? I guess I've always though of flashes as being unnecessary and unwanted in nature or natural (not studio) photography as they tend to bleach out photos and natural light seems best. Does a high quality flash really make a difference? What sort of situations could I use such a flash in?
Shirasagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:33 PM   #2

I enjoyed your images. You have good composition and your colors add to your artistry of photography.

Somehow I don't like such work associated with a site called 'deviant.'...

'Deviant' has a bad conotation in english, IMHO.

Try Smugmug or Zenfolio.

A photograper paints with light. An effective photographer uses ambient as well as his own light. Ignore those who claim you can do without flash.

Flash washes out images because the flash is sitting on the camera.

Its light fires toward the subject, illuminates the subject, and reflects back to the lens with the light that has illuminated your subject.

Flash should be fired toward your subject at such and angle that the flash does not reflect back to your lens. All you want is the illumination of the subject to enter the lens, you don't want the flash's light to return in the lens. This way you get true colors.

The 18-200VR is all you need until you increase your photographic skills. It is a truly great lens IMHO.

Hope this helpsa bit.

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:26 AM   #3

You have a good eye. The flower pics don't excite me (they are technically good for the most part)..flowers are tough to do great because there are so many flower shot out there. Look for different angles and unusual colors. There are just too many pictures for me to make general comments. If you have questions about specific images, post them individually for better feedback. I think you're fine posting your work on Deviantart.com. It is a highly visited site, although its better know for it's fractal and digital artists as opposed to photographers.

I think a flash is one of the most important photography tools available. Nikon's CLS system is outstanding and easy to use. Anytime you can get the flash off camera, and use multiple speedlights, you can get very creative and get some great lighting effects. Flash is useful in most situations..adding slight fill brightens shadows and lights up backlit subjects, helps stop motion and allows you to use lower iso's.

If you have a true interest in macro work, a dedicated macro lens is a great addition. It's the best way to get images to fill the frame, and they are typically wicked sharp. Some of the older Nikon micro's have dropped in price and are quite affordable.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote