Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 5, 2008, 2:21 PM   #1

I'm very very new to the world of DSLR's. Just got a D40X on close-out and heading to Yellowstone in a month. I would like to get a nicer lens within a budget. I've read some that the AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm is a good and versatile option for a reasonable price. I would like to keep the cost under $800.

Any recommendations? And you'll really have to dumb-it-down when explaining. At this point, all the camera jargon is still way over my head.

thewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2008, 2:51 PM   #2

The 18-200 is a good compromise, do everything lens. It is one of the best superzooms available, and many people will be perfectly happy with that as their only lens. It does suffer from distortion issues especially at extremes, and its not a great indoor lens. If you want to keep it simple and light, this probably would be the best choice.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 3:01 PM   #3

rjseeney...thanks for the feedback. My primary (at least for now) use for this will be outdoors/nature photography. And here's another question to show you how little I know about photography: How far of a distance can a lens like this zoom in on wildlife? Say something the size of a bear/elk. Or is it really not intended for that...and I would actually need one of those super telephoto lens (which I'm way to new to this hobby to invest in something like that)?
thewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 3:23 PM   #4

Longer focal lengths are usually better for wildlife and nature photography, depending on how much detail you want for a given print or viewing size.

One issue with the D40x is that it's going to be limited to lenses with focus motors built in (for example, Nikon's AF-S lenses or Sigma's HSM lenses) if you want Autofocus. So, that's going to narrow your available choices some versus some of the higher end Nikon models with focus motors built in.

If you've got $800 to spend on an 18-200mm, you may want to look at something like the Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM Autofocus lens for a little bit more instead. You can pick one up for $918 now at buydig.com:

I'd make sure you're comfortable with it's size and weight if you want to go that route.

What's your budget and what lenses to you have now?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote