Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:01 PM   #1

Hi, ifsomeone more experiencedcould help me with the settings for a big fireworks show, it will be very appreciated. Nikon D40 with kit lens. Thanks!
artmustel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2008, 8:16 AM   #2

Hi, I don't have a lot of personal experience with shooting fireworks, but they really are not that hard. I took some a couple of months ago and was very pleased with the results. I believe when I was trying to shoot some, I followed this article (http://www.dphotojournal.com/how-to-shoot-fireworks/), but do a google and you'll find plenty that are just as good if not better. Regardless of the how to steps, you'll definitely need a tripod and I would recommend a remote shutter release if you have one. I was shooting fireworks that I knew would be in front of Stone Mtn, so I set up my tripod, manually focused on the MTN, set my camera to manual, set my release to remote, set my iso to 200, my aperture to f8, and my shutter to 3 sec, then I basically just started firing off shots when the fireworks started. This next time I shoot, I'll probably bump to my aperture to f11, f16, and maybe even f22 and I'll set my shutter speed to bulb so I can choose when to close the shutter. Here's an example of one of my shots from a couple of months ago. Good luck!
Attached Images
mdparker04 is offline   Reply With Quote