Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:32 PM   #1

Hi there. I've been using a D70s for a few years now and have been wanting to upgrade my technique, especially around lighting. I came across Ben Chrisman's site a few weeks ago (see below) and wanted to know where to even BEGIN attempting to do lighting like he does. I'm not looking for all the answers at once of course, but would be grateful for any basic tips and techniques you think I should be thinking about (including any interesting websites for D70s settings/techniques etc.). He supposedly only uses available lighting for his shots and for the life of me I can't event get close to the texture, warmth, sharpness and color of his work on my Nikon. Is it all post processing? Or is it a equipment issue? Or other? Thank you!

Link to Ben's Site:

HW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2008, 4:02 PM   #2

Hi HW,

If your not happy with the results straight from camera you may want to take a look at installing a custom curve in your D70.It's pretty easy to do but you will need Nikon camera control software.I messed around with these in my D50 and got great results when shooting Jpeg.

I suggest shooting RAW (if you don't already) then I would try Adobe Lightroom,or Adobe camera raw.
I use Adobe Lightroom for 90% of my work,I rarely edit in Photoshop.I think it's the best thing since sliced bread :G.
It's cut my workflow considerably and when shooting in raw you have more control over the final image than Jpeg.There are many presets available to apply to images (even when importing them into lightroom)

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/ lots of info here including presets,tutorials

TONE CURVE INFO (if you shoot Jpeg)

I cannot put a price on how much I've learned from the Strobist site and how much my understanding of light has improved .

Please forgive me If you already know most of this ,

Good luck

I know its abit off topic for natural lighting techniques, but iI thought it may help

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote