Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:32 AM   #1

Just wondering if you should keep the VR selected as a default or just when you may feel it is needed. I bought a new 55-200mm lens for my D50. I also bought a new D60 to nicely toss (I did say nicely) in my purse, are after market batteries just as good as the ones that say Nikon??
shaysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:03 PM   #2

For Vr, most of the time you can just leave it on. If your shooting on a tripod, it's best to turn vr off. Otherwise, the only drawback is battery life.

As far as your battery question, I would stick with the real deal. Some third party batteries are good, some aren't, and the only way to find out is if you use one. I don't think it's worth saving 20 or 30 bucks, when I can get the real thing and be certain it works.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 5:56 PM   #3

shaysmom wrote:
... I also bought a new D60 to nicely toss (I did say nicely) in my purse ...

Holy cow Karen, how big is your purse :G

I have only used Nikon batteries with my D60. I bought two when I got the D60 and have never run out. Never tried anything else.

Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:29 AM   #4

In my experience, VR does not significantly drain battery power. It's best to leave it on, so you don't forget to turn it on when you need it.

I stick with official Nikon batteries. I've have read horror stories about bad third-party batteries, so I don't want to risk damaging an expensive camera. At least if a Nikon battery caused the problem, Nikon will be willing to fix it.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote