Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:52 AM   #1

I've had a Canon 20D for the last 4 years and love it. I've always been intrigued by Nikon however. My best friend, who also has a 20D, always said that Nikon is a bit more expensive and a bit better than Canon.

Anyways, I tried a d80 out a few months back and thought the controls were better and now that the d90 came out with video, I thought I'd take a shot at it. I only have 2 canon lenses so no big deal to sell.

I have a few questions:

1. I'm on a budget and can only purchase 1 or 2 lenses to start. I love wide angle shots but also need a standard walk around mid range lens. Later on I'll probably get a long zoom and a macro but for right now i need more of a middle and wide angle lens although I do want some decent zoom to start. What would you guys suggest I start with? I can probably spend no more than $800 total on both lenses.

I orderd the d90 kit but I can always sell the 18-105 if I don't like it. It sounds pretty good but I really like f2.8 dof. The other lens I will get is something around 10-20mm. What would you suggest in that range? I'm not at all adverse to buying a tokina or sigma lens.

I currently have the 28-75 tamron on the canon and may just buy the nikon version because I love the thing. How is it on the nikon? I would actually prefer something more in the range of the 18-105 or even 135 but of course that depends on how good the picture quality is. I seriously looked into the 18-200 VR but I'm not so sure about the jack of all trades lens.

2. What memory cards do I buy and what brands should I love at? I've only bought CF in the past. Also, do i buy SD or SDHC memory cards? And does speed matter and if so, what speed should I be looking for?

3. Any suggestions on a website or guide to using the d90? Other than here of course

rizorith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2008, 4:11 PM   #2

I got the D90 last month and I love it. I wasn't sure about the kit lense as I was looking at the 18-200 for a long time. But I have to say I love it and it compliments my 70-300vr really well. It does have some issues with the corners at the wide end though. I also just got the 35mm 2.0 as well which is nice.

The D90 uses sd cards. I just bought two sdhc cards, but my computer doesn't read them, I have to use a card reader. speed is not enough of an issue for me to notice and major differences.
Casa B is offline   Reply With Quote