Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:46 PM   #1

I currently have a D80 that I am very happy with. My only complaint, as noted in reviews, is that the default camera processing is softer than some others. Vivid mode is actually perfect but even just a sharpening adjust would be nice. (although I like the color boost you get with a Vivid setting).

The drawback for me has been that neither of these settings (Vivid or Sharpening) is available in the idiot-proof Auto setting.

Do you know if this changes with the D90? (or if I em incorrect about the D80).

And not to seem unappreciative, but if your reply is that you like a soft image or I shouldn't be using Auto anyway, I respect that opinion, but I do use Auto and I like a sharper image. Any way to configure the camera for this?

Thank you,

toddjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:12 AM   #2

Have you tried P mode (Programmed Auto)?

With many cameras, you need to use P mode to make changes to some of the settings. The idea is for full Auto to always use a set of defaults, so that a new camera owners doesn't change something that negatively impacts image quality. Programmed Auto usually lets you make changes.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 7:29 AM   #3

I have a D90. If i understand you correctly then my reply is that you can adjust any of the parameters in the different modes such as vivid etc and then save them as a new bunch of picture settings. You can make your own from scratch or adjust any of the supplied ones and rename. It is very quick and easy to select between different picture controls. I find this feature very valuable as i can adjust sharpness and contrast etc to exatcly how i want and have several different ones to choose from for different types of photography.
Auto modes such as scene modes can not be adjusted i do not think but keeping the camera in the plain auto mode you can use any of the picture controls you have created.

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote