Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 4, 2008, 9:56 PM   #1

I had the choice of the nikon D80 or the Canon Rebel XSi, I had both in my hands & though the Canon looked very easy to operate, it felt really flimsy for the price but I did like the fact that it came with 2 lenses which I thought was a great way to start. I picked up the D80, it just felt like power in the palm in my hand & not cheap plastic. The only problem I have is learning how to use it. I totally starting from scratch but I look forward to learning. So far, I have learned something new every day I use it.

As far as I am concerned I made the right choice. In the back of my mind I think I could have gotten so much more for the same price.

Well I have it & I am not returning it.
Juice32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2008, 2:31 PM   #2

The D-80 is a great camera and you made an excellent choice! There are lots of good user guides in print for the D-80.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 5:24 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Congratulations on your purchase and I'm sure you will have great fun with the D80 and I know you are going to learn a lot.

If you've not played with it yet use the different features on the mode dial

The bottom options here as described by Steve in his review are the

"Digital Vari-Program modes for Portrait, Landscape, Closeup, Sports, Night Landscape and Night Portrait.

Digital Vari-Program mode automatically optimizes white balance, sharpening, tone (contrast), color, saturation and hue for optimal results according to the type of picture you're taking. For example, select Portrait mode and the camera will automatically enhance the image with beautiful skin tones, complimentary edge sharpening and soft background focus that highlights your subject."

They don't give you as much control as manual, aperture priority or shutter priority but they are better than using Auto.

You will be able to learn a lot here, just jump in and get posting. If you are looking to get a certain style of shot then just ask, someone will point you in the right direction.

Happy shooting,

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote