Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 18, 2008, 8:43 PM   #1

I'm fairly new to DSLR cameras. I have a Nikon D40X and for a lens I use a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 55-200mm 1.4-5.6G ED lens. Many times under very low light conditions or really bright conditions (snow scenes) the camera refuse to take a picture. The lens will focus but pushing the shutter release does nothing. I do not seem to have this problem in daylight normal photography. I suspect it is something I haven't learned to do right yet but I do not know what it is. Uping the ISO number does not seem to have any effect..If anyone has a suggestion or a fix please help me out. It's so frustrating that I'm considering not using this lens. Thank you
herbmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:41 PM   #2

Is the focus confirmation light on in the viewfinder? If the lens stops the focus process before the focus is achieved, the shutter will not fire. Is the focus-assist light coming on while the lens is attempting to focus? If not, you can turn it on in the menu. Sounds like the auto focus system needs more light than you're giving it. Keep us posted...Robert

I just re-read your post. Autofocus depends on contrast to work properly, so if the scene is overly dark or overly bright and not at all contrasty, the autofocus system will have a terrible time trying to work, if at all.
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote