Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 30, 2002, 1:06 PM   #1
Default Performance: F100 vs. CoolPix 5000 vs D100

Hello All:

I need help to understand some performance differences between the subject three cameras, to help me decide on whether a D100 is a good investment.

I have an F100 and a CoolPix 5000. It is an interesting trade off of convenience (CP5000) vs performance (F100).

My biggest complaint with the CP5000 is the performance. Specifically, the time between pressing the button and getting the image captured by the camera. I am not sure how to characterize the delay: part I suppose is digicam shutter lag (which I assume is just delay related to getting the CCD and associated electronics in a state ready to capture the image). I also suppose part of the delay difference is due to poorer performance of the CP5000 for auto focus.

HOW WILL THE D100 COMPARE TO THESE TWO CAMERAS FOR PERFORMANCE? This is something I would really like to know. When I go to snap the whale jumping up above the surface, will the D100 do like the CP5000 and show me a nice splash of the whale going under the water?

Any help/information on this would be appreciated!

Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2002, 2:29 PM   #2

The D100 will not focus as fast as the F100, thu it's not bad. The D100 has a buffer to store shots, so it will be better than the cooplex. It's not perfect but it's a step forward.

Is the D100 a good investment, I suspect in your case no. It sounds to me that changable lens is not a requirement and a compact camera is what meets needs.

The spec for Nikon 5700 has a 70ms shutter lag and can take 3 shots a second upto 10 frames. I sure there are others too look at.
ashenfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2002, 9:07 AM   #3

all current dslrs are poor investments. the are interim designs. the bar is being raised every 6 months or less. they are still cp5000/d7i/etc guts crammed into slr bodies with some tweaking. the 1 megapixal boost is the carrot for the horse.
with the dslr they now sell the "film" with the camera (the ccd). the cf cards arent as much of an issue here because they're the portable part next to the lens. when they improve the ccd you must purchase the whole product over again. great for the marketeers, stinks for us. at least with real film you have many options. with the lenses of course with the current dslrs you hav the conversion factor. so many compromises. and all this for $2000-5000. sounds like a real deal to me.

the cp5k also buffers shots too. as to how much they never state. from what i have read though 32MB looks to be a standard.
the workflow and processor are optimized in the d100 so it is speedier than a 5000. all these supposed improvements are incremental. these are no real WOW! stuff here. it's existing tech from the D1h/x being flowed down tweaked and marketed at a new price point. its not faster or really better than a d1x is it?

[Edited on 8-4-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 1:54 PM   #4
Default I have a CP995, F100 and D100...

The CP995 is pretty good for a consumer camera and the CP5000 is even better. Niether is a serious camera for the serious photographer.

Shutter lag is the biggest problem. Not shooting RAW is another problem. Quality of glass is another. I use the CP995 for quick snapshots that will never ever be used beyond the net or 4"x6" print. An F100 owner would never be happy with the CP5000, unless it was to keep your spouse busy while you shoot the real camera.

I just finished a photo trip, shooting the F100 and D100. I preferred the D100 in all circumstances except where I needed really wide angle or shooting back toward the sun. There is no perceptable shutter lag, unless you are shooting continuous frames.

Why I love the D100:

1) Quick review of histogram after each shot.
2) At sunset or sunrise, I can change the ISO on the fly as light changes. E.g. sports shots, no flash twilight game.
3) No partial rolls
4) No more scanning
5) 107 shots on a 1 gb card
6) White balance and EV can be changed post processing. This means +/- 2 stops of EV after the fact in .33 stop increments. Many rolls are a measely 12 shots bracketed on both sides. No more bracketing.
7) Long lenses become longer. With my 80-200mm + 2x tele + 1.5 FOV multiplier, I was shooting the equivalent of 600mm.

I've uploaded some D100 shots here:

The first was taken from a half mile away.
scorpio_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:02 PM   #5

Let me echo sj...

AVOID any dSLR today. The announcements form Photokina are the death knell of the current breed. By this time next year, the dSLR market will be dominated bvy full fram machines and that price will be dropping. Even more interesting are the Oldyaks .. a new gen SLR or EVLR based on a smaller chip. These cameras will be lighter, cheaper ana competitive with their "pro" cousins.

My uninformed totally ignorant desire-driven opinion is thatby next summer you will see at least one of these newgen cams and the price will be less than 2000 w/o lens.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 7:16 PM   #6

What a load of hogwash! I own the 990, the 5000 and the D100. I see we have lots of specification experts around. I like the 5000 but it just doesn't cut low light or motion photography. Sure, go ahead wait for the full size seonsor cameras and I'll have taken 5000-10000 SLR images with Nikkor lenses on my D100 and enjoyed every minute.

There are at least three type posters on these sites.
1. Newbies who ask the same questions over and over without looking in the post history..but okay we've all been there.
2. Genuine knowledge seekers who exchange techniques and settings. They ask for suggestions and offer help to others.
3. Specicifcation experts. More interested in winning theoretical arguments (Ali vs. Marciano, etc.) than taking pictures. They don't own, they just pontificate on the specifications. Take their opinions with a grain of salt.

In this case the argument is something like "only real SLRs use full sized sensors." Right! And when they're released they'll whine about how their film cameras can do xxx better than any old DSLR.

Go out and get the D100 or the Canon and start shooting. Spend less time listening to this technobabble and more time using and learning the camera.

I've been frequenting this site since the days of the Ricoh RDC-2 and Coolpix 900 (fall 97). I just don't post much; unless I see absolutely bogus posts like a couple in this thread.
Old Oct 3, 2002, 11:33 PM   #7

With all due respect, my comments are not babble, techno or whatever.

I have no doubt that some with deep pockets will buy every new toy they can. But, for most of us ... including an amateur who introduces himself in this way, spending 2,000 to 3,000 $$$, dSLR is not a casual purchase, it is something that should last several years. Finding the sweet spot in gadgetry requires showing judgment, not just buying on a whim.

Furthermore the difference between a full size sensor and one that crops the image is a major one. 35mm lenses are pricey, and cropping of 1/3 of the lens' area is not a trivial deficit. Among other things it means that a true wide angle is VERY expensive. There is also the same loss of image quality a film photographer gets when she decides to crop in the enlarger rather than framing in the camera.

The bottom line, with true 35mm dSLRs on their way, and with cameras as potent as the high end prosumers, buying a D100 now only makes sense if you have a lot of money, if someone else is paying for this, if you have some reason to need the interchangeable lenses, etc.

So,as the Prophet Steve Martin once said, EXCYOOOOOZZ ME! But the advice is till meant well.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2002, 10:42 AM   #8
Default My 2 bits

I have been a serious student of photography since 1972. I have owned many cameras, Pentax, Nikon etc etc. I became a digital enthusiast almost 5 years ago and bought one of the 1st Kodak's on the market. Since then I have owned CP990, 995, 5000 and now a D-100. I can say that the D100 is the finest camera I have owned since my original F-2 in 1974. Having full control and fubulous results with speed, accuracy, fabulous colors and intechangable lenses make it a tremendous buy. I also have been in the computer business for 27 years. Remeber, when it comes to technology whatever you buy today will be out dated next month. So, find something you are comfortable with and go for it. I still like and use my CP990 for convenience, but the D100 is great. For film I still use my old F-2! I have a n90 for sale if you want one, never liked it.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2002, 1:14 PM   #9

I agree with PeteH & Rich, get what ever camera seems to suit your needs and have fun taking photos. I currently have a Nikon FM2, 8008S, F100, Coolpix 885 & I just got a call that said my D100 just arrived. I'm selling the 8008S, because I will probably never pick it up again since I got the F100, but I will never get rid of the FM2. It's a great backup camera for the F100. And, so will the D100 be a great backup camera for the new full size censors coming out next year. But for now and a long time to come I will get great use out of the D100. I have a couple of friends that have the Canon D30, and are still enjoying that camera even though it is half the mp of the D60 & D100 are. There is always something better, new & improved around the corner, but that takes nothing away from what a current camera is doing here & now. The camera is just a tool, the photographer makes the photograph...
My first posting here.
Freefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2002, 5:00 PM   #10

Colin, I fully agree with Rich, Pete and Freefall purchase what you need now and enjoy it, there will always be something to "wait" for and you will never have anything. I have been using Nikon since the S-2 rangefinder and never regreted any purchase especially my new D100. Regarding the 5000's shutter time lag Nikon has released a downloadable firmware upgrade that reportedly shortens this greatly and allows the 5000 to use the NEF (RAW) file system as well as other improvements. Good luck
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote