Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:36 AM   #1

Ok, I have a camera (D80)with multiple lens, I have some books on how to this and that. Then I was like, DUH, I didn't get anything for cleaning the lens etc.... What should I have in kit and what should I stay away from. There is dry and then there is wet. I hate to sound so new at this, but that is where I am and I don't want to ruin anything. As always, thank you inadvance for your time and help with this stuff.

PS, after reading my post, I bet you all are rolling your eyes and laughing!
MrWeedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:04 AM   #2

I use a lens cleaning tissue slightly damp(not wet)with a lens cleaner fluid that you can buy at any decent camera shop.Then I wipe it over with a soft lens cleaning cloth. While we are on this, your next question will be about sensor cleaning I guess. I have had my D40X for a year and have only had to blow dust offthe sensor once and that was when I got it back from Nikon after a pixel mapping. I used a Rocket blower. I have had the Visible Dust. Artic Butterfly recommended to me by a dealer as a first line of cleaning and only wet cleaning when absolutely necessary.If you Google "cleaning camera sensors" you will get loads of information. A friend of mine, a semi pro,has had a D50 since it was first released, changes lenses and has never blown or cleaned his sensor once yet. Perhaps he is just lucky but I have seen a lot of his pics at A4 and they look good to me, he tells me he has never had to clone out dust or dirt.!!

deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 6:48 AM   #3

I use a blower (actually a sucker) that I found in the baby isle at Wal-Mart for cleaning dust off anything dusty. I also use the lens tissue from a camera store. It comes in convient packs that are easy to store and carry. I never get it wet though.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote