Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 26, 2009, 12:32 PM   #11

I went to a party last evening and got to use the diffuser.
Very interesting ! it appears that the Sto-Fen seems to soften up the image somewhat, the cause being the loss of the hard edges of normal flash. It sharpens up ok in P/S but I thought I would point this out. It was particularly noticeable in Auto mode where my little bit of in camera sharpening doesn't apply.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:11 AM   #12

I noticed that you have been using a Sto-Fen diffuser with an SB-400 on a D5000. As a Biomedical Photographer (previously with OHSU), I've been considering this combination for clinicians with little or no photographic experience to use in a Teledermatology program. Since dermatology photos usually include closeup views of individual skin lesions, my concern is how this system will perform in preserving highlight details down to a 1:1 (life size) magnification ratio. I would appreciate it if you have any experience to share using this setup for macro work.

LarrysMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:56 PM   #13
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

The Sto-Fen difuser is intended to soften and spread light by bouncing if off a celing. Therefore, it has to be used with the flash head pointing in a 46-60 degree angle to achive the bouncing of the light. For your intended purpose, it will likely not work, unless you you simply use it as a light difuser. You may be better off with a macro ring flash which is designed to work in close up applications. Some shoe mount flashes (Sigma for e.g.) also ahve a macro setting for the head. In this position, the head points down from the horizontal to focus the light closer to the lens opening. I've used one in the past for close up work and achieved good results.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote