Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:03 PM   #1
Default D5000: Auto ISO with Flash

Hi everyone, my bro-in-law just bought a D5000. He came over my place so i can give a crash course on his new camera before he leaves for his trip. I have D90 and was also curious how the D5000 would feel and perform.

Anyway, while going through the options and trying it out i discovered that with flash On and ISO Auto On the camera will pick an ISO as if it wasn't using a flash. So it will still bump ISO even if it's using the pop-up flash resulting to pics with more noise. My experience with my D90 is that if i use the flash the camera will automatically pick ISO 200.

Is this normal with D5000, or just a setting i missed or my bro-in-law got a bad unit?
rrbarcarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:09 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I believe that depending on the other settings the camera is going to try to get a good ambient exposure and only use the flash for fill. Personally I never use auto ISO but understand in your B-i-Ls case it might be wise. How high is it taking the ISO as ever at 1600 with some noise reduction software the results should come out pretty good?! I think keep things simple for now and tell him to stick with the Auto ISO and progress from this when he has more time to improve the technique.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:58 AM   #3

what were you photographing? was it far away? if the cameras flash isnt powerfull enough to get the correct exposure, i think it will up the iso to compensate.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote