Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 25, 2009, 2:39 PM   #1
Default D40 SB400 18-200mm VR

Well the unthinkable happened and now I can say with hindsight I wished I had taken an extended warranty out for my D40 but I had been extremely careful with all my photography equipment.

This time I had it resting on a netbook (also new). It somehow decided to slide right off and over the printer and down onto the wooden floor just as I knelt down to plug in my mobile phone.

The SB400 took the brunt of the hit and thus forced a bend into the hotshoe and cracked the top piece that covers the camera control viewfinder and inboard flash. I popped it out and it is a hairline crack with the left side of the hotshoe tweaked.

Remarkably after my being visibly upset, (verbally too). I decided to shoot with it anyway to see what damage was done. Cosmetically is all that I can see as far as damage. I am still not pleased with it so I e-mailed Nikon Service Center and will see what they will or can do.

Inboard flash fires fine. Due to the crack and it being a bit cockeyed from the bent hotshoe the SB600 I placed on it seemed not as stable. It fired fine. The SB400 fired fine too and also in my D200. The lens shows no ill effects either. I shot quite a bit with the D40 and will return to the "street fair" happening today just around the corner from where I live. My return will be with the D200 and the 18-200mm VR with the SB400.

I am sure the camera would do fine not doing anything else but my intent was to use this camera as my outdoor workhorse with flash. Thus, I will see what the Service Center will do in my case.

These shots are just resized, no PP of any kind nor cropping.
Attached Images

Last edited by vIZnquest; Jul 25, 2009 at 2:43 PM.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2009, 4:19 PM   #2

I am sorry to hear that your camera got spilled on to the floor and suffered some damage. That is always a bummed, and I must be honest and admit that I have also suffered the same kind of accident. And yes, it was due to me moving along too fast and not taking the proper care of my equipment.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 6:21 PM   #3

Ouch! Sorry to hear this Tom. Damn that guy Murphy and his stupid law.
Hopefully, it will be a quick fix and back into your hands soon. Let us know how it turns out.
Really nice candids BTW.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2009, 7:03 PM   #4

Sarah and Steve,

Thanks for the reply. It is nice to know that I am not the only one that experiences something of this nature. I have read post after post about others and was always glad I had not experienced it. I assumed where I left the camera outside of a bag would be safe where it was. Well the unfortunate lesson in this case is that I will not do it again with any camera and that I am not too busy to put things where they belong and not get sidetracked into something else.

Hopefully, what I get in reply from Nikon will be something that is a matter of routine for them and that it can and will be fixed. In the meantime, I am lucky to have other cameras to work with.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote