Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Default Satisfied Customer

Earlier I posted about how my newly purchased D40 (my second actually, sold the first one about a year and a half ago). It slipped off my netbook over the printer and smack onto the wooden floor with the SB400 speedlight attached along with the 18-200mm VR lens. The hotshoe was bent and the housing on the right side of the viewfinder was cracked and pushed into the body. A little tug and it popped out but the hotshoe was really bent and luckily no damage to the speedlight or lens.

I sent the camera in knowing this is not a warranty job. It took all of ten days total to get it fixed and it looks like new and works well thus far. I have taken about 300 shots with the SB400 and 18-200mm VR lens.

It cost, but it is definitely worth it than to buy another camera altogether. I am pleased at the quick turnaround and quality of work that they did and I was able to follow the progress online. They even mailed paperwork to me just to make sure I was contacted every way possible on what they found and what was needed to be done and the cost.

I am a happy camper.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:28 PM   #2

That is a great repair report, Viz-

If only Nikon could do that with the Nikon D-5000 recall cameras. But they are NOT DOING THAT. You send your D-5000 in and just wait and hope until it returns safely to you.

This a huge failure on the part of Nikon. Yes, they disclosed the problem very early on, that is true. But the quality of the fix is terrible. I was happy to hear that your repair worked out so well, Viz. That is just great.

However, the Nikon D-5000 fixes have been very clumsily handled. There is no REAl communication at all. Folks have a large investment in their D-5000 camera. But Nikon has really botched the job. Shame on Nikon.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote