Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 11, 2009, 8:58 AM   #1
Default D90 and Program Shift

new to D90 bought two weekes ago, and working on it to use well !

Have lastly tried Program Mode ( P). Now I see that the DSLR sets an aperture/sped combo default for the current photo I want to shoot. If I am not happy with this ( want greater or smaller speed; limit depth of field and so on) I can rotate the command dial to set different values, and that displays a P* so I knwo I am modifying suggested settings.
Now the question: how do I know what I have set as new values ? I only see a P*, but the speed and aperture settings do not update in the viewer ( nor on the top LCD). Is this normal or do I miss something ?

If it is normal, how then know if I have for example set a great enough aperture to limit the DoF ?

TIA for all information !

Manual is good, but many times only states what the buttons do, not how to use them !

Pivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:38 AM   #2

You'll probably need to half press the shutter button to active the meter.

Then, you should be able to rotate the command dial to step between available aperture/shutter speed combinations.

If you don't see it changing, you may already be at the widest available aperture for your lens and are trying to turn it the wrong way. You may also be using the wrong control dial. Nikon models are a bit finnicky on the controls needed in some cases, and I think only the back control dial works with P mode (whereas with some cameras like my Sony A700, I can use the front or back control dials in modes like P Mode, Aperture Priority Mode or Shutter Priority Mode to step between available settings)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:27 AM   #3

Also, if you're using the ISO Sensitivity Auto Control, and you've specified a minimum shutter speed, you can't use the control dial to get a shutter speed any slower than the one you specified. That might be limiting your range of options for Program Shift.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote