Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:28 PM   #1

Default How to check used D300 for number of shutter-actuations

Hi folks!

Need some hard-to-come-by but important advise from you "pro's" her. I am currently testing a used D300 over the week-end. I am inclined to buy this camera if it turns out to be in full working order.

The camera was new in August 2008 (have the shop-receipt stating the production-number) and the owner states that less than 10.000 exposures have been made with this camera. I have no reason to doubt this, but for peace of mind, want to make sure that this really is the case.

Is there a way to check this out, somewhere in the menues? Some setting there that will give me an answer to this?

Thank you in advance!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:39 PM   #2
Super Moderator

it depends on if they have reset or installed new firmware.

if they have, then there is no way of knowing.

if they have never reset or updated the firmware, then the shutter actuations from the EXIF.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:49 PM   #3
Administrator

Try PhotoME. You'll see a Shutter Count section in the Manufacturer Notes (a.k.a., Maker Notes) section of the EXIF if you view a photo with it. I don't know if new firmware resets this count with a D300 or not (as Hards80 mentioned might happen)

http://www.photome.de/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:50 PM   #4
Super Moderator

according to the QnA on Nikon's website, firmware resets and updates reset that number.

found it
http://support.nikontech.com/app/ans...ail/a_id/14367

Last edited by Hards80; Feb 11, 2010 at 3:51 PM. Reason: added link
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:53 PM   #5
Administrator

Interesting. You'd think Nikon would have a way to know what the actual shutter count is on a camera though. So, I wouldn't be that it's not being stored somewhere. ;-)
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:53 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Interesting. You'd think Nikon would have a way to know what the actual shutter count is on a camera though. So, I wouldn't be that it's not being stored somewhere. ;-)
most likely that is the case, similar to Canon, of course they would charge for that number
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:20 PM   #7

Default WOW! - That was quick!

Thank you both, Dustin and Jim for your effort in helping me - Appreciate your involvment as well!

I didn't think about the EXIF, but now I know! Thanks!
I happend to have Opanda Exif 2.26 - http://www.opanda.com/en/products/index.html - installed on my PC - so I checked some shots I did today and it says:

Total Number of Shutter Releases for Camera = 9473

So I guess the guy is telling the truth. Firmware installed is 1.10 though , so one can never be sure. I guess the camera comes with Firmware 1.00 installed from the factory....?

On the other hand, I have not read anything about any update of firmware after release of the D300 - it would have said so in Steve's review of the D300 - would it not?

Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:29 PM   #8
Super Moderator

it appears that nikon updated the d300 to firmware 1.10 in October 2008, and immediately began shipping them with that firmware.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:34 PM   #9
Administrator

The D300 had multiple firmware updates along the way.

I had the opportunity to use a D300 with 1.00 installed. But, they came out with a 1.01, 1.02 and 1.03 update before the latest 1.10 was released in October 2008. The version that shipped with a given camera would probably depend on when it was manufactured.

Chances are, most users would have installed 1.10 a long time ago though.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:46 PM   #10

O.K. so if this 1.10 firmware was released in October 2008 - and "my" D300 was sold August 19th - 2008 (from the receipts date-stamp) it was probably shipped with an earlier firmware than 1.10 - but on would assume that the owner then updatede the firmware around or shortly after the time of the new release (October / November - 08).

Well, again - both Dustin and Jim - thank you very much for your involment in this case. I appreciate the time and knowledge shown here!