Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:40 PM   #1
Default Why not use VR and Continuous Shooting? D5000

I have a D5000 and am very early in the learning process, but I have a couple of quick questions that are probably pretty basic to most of you.

Why would I want to turn off vibration reduction? Does having it on slow picture to picture shot speed, or some other speed? Does it negatively affect image quality (for images that wouldn't have needed VR)?

Why not shoot in continuous mode all the time? If I only want one shot, I just get my finger off the button after it fires the first one - but if I want a burst, I can just hold the button down. What is the negative of staying in continuous shooting mode?
rctoyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:12 AM   #2
Super Moderator

With VR there are only a few times when turning it off can help. One of those is on a tripod and using a long shutter speed, the IS can add shake to the photo (although more and more lenses now have a feature to recognise if it is on a tripod and thus turn off VR - I still don't risk it). Also shooting sports where you are following the action, the VR will not allow you to respond so quickly to movements as it is trying to stop the shake. Apart from this I leave VR/IS etc on all the time..... yes it drains the battery a little faster but saves me thinking about it.

With continuous shooting as you only have 4fps then leaving it on is not usually an issue and doesn't matter if you accidently fire off two (but usually it is easy to stop after one). I would be careful if you are trying to stop after one shot in low light or any time when you are using a slow shutter as you are likely to jab at the release a bit more trying to let it go quickly so you only get one photo. Either hold it longer and don't worry about getting 2 shots or turn it of so you can be more controlled in your shooting. Even though I have cameras able to shoot at 8fps and 10fps, unless shooting sports I turn them down to 3 or 4fps most of the time and just leave continuous on the same as you, apart from the times mentioned above.
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:22 AM   #3

I agree with Mark1616. There really isn't any substantial reason to switch either of those setting off and on on a regular basis. And if you don't use your camera with great regularity, you can leave them on and live with the consequences (if, indeed, there might be any), instead of having to remember to check the settings every time you pick up the camera, and then have to live with the consequences of having the inappropriate settings for what you want to do at that time, if you forget to check.

In other words, I think you're better off leaving them on than constantly switching them on and off.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote