Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Default Spot on pictures

Hey guys, I just purchased a used D3000 off of KEH.com. I just received it today in the mail and was playing around with it when I noticed there was a spot on the images when previewed.

It's actually moved. It was up and to the right more when I first noticed it. I'm thinking it's probably dust and after I first noticed it I visually inspected the front and back of the lens and inside the camera but couldn't see anything. Any quick ways I could blow some air around in there to get the crap out?

The first image is zoomed all the way out and the second is zoomed all the way in.

Last edited by FastasEF; Jun 10, 2010 at 11:04 PM.
FastasEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2010, 3:41 AM   #2

That looks like dust on the sensor. There are lots of ways to remove dust, but the safest ones are the ones that don't physically contact the sensor. Try a blower first. Something like http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/GTRABLR.html
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:53 AM   #3
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

To be visible on the preview screen, that must be some big speck of dirt! Typically the specks show up when viewed on an external monitor. As TCAV suggested, a blower such as the Rocket Blaster (http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900...6260667&sr=1-1 ) works very well. Not sure if your camera has a sensor self clean function which if available you can use as well. If it does not help, I'd return the unit to KEH...I think they have a 60 day warranty on the gear that they sell.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:21 AM   #4

take it to a local shop and have them clean it. i used to take my D40 once a year. to have it cleaned. the shop i took it to just charged me $40
wilson44512 is offline   Reply With Quote