Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:10 AM   #1
Default D90 focus

I recently bought the Nikon D90 with the 18-105 lense. Now I've had 2 digitals camera's prior to this one and they both did digital zooming. In the manual on this camera there's mentioned of that capability at all. So I was wondering if this camera was capable of digital zooming at all.

Last edited by Jason Moscovici; Jul 17, 2010 at 6:58 AM.
Jason Moscovici is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:29 AM   #2

All digital zoom does is crop the image (remove the outside edges, leaving the desired portion in the middle), and with some cameras, it resizes that smaller cropped portion back to the original size.

That resizing degrades image quality by adding pixels that were not captured by the camera, based on the values of adjacent pixels.

I leave digital zoom disabled on cameras that have it (so that I don't accidentally use it and degrade my images). But, not many dSLR models will have that feature.

You can accomplish the same thing by using an editor and cropping an image later (then resize it if you need to).

But, I'd be careful not to crop too much (or you may not have enough pixels left over for decent quality at the desired print/viewing size). A longer focal length optical zoom is a much better idea if you really need to fill the frame more with further away subjects.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote