Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 13, 2003, 9:54 AM   #1

Default Nikon SB24 flash on newer Nikon DSLR

I've got two Nikon SB-24 speedlights. I used to use them with my F4 camera, but now I've got the D2h.

Does anyone know how compatible the flash will be with Nikon DSLR cameras (D100, D1 series, and D2h)? From what I've read here, the "ttl" mode probably will not work, but the "automatic" mode should work fine.

I haven't used flash all that much in the past. I'm wondering if the SB-24 will still try to adjust based on the focal length being used on the lens, and how much or little automatic control there will be for flash exposures.

The SB-24 has two main controls on the back, one that's "rear" or "normal", and the other to set it to "A", "M", "flash?", and "TTL". Presumably, if ttl isn't available, I should set it to "A" for a starting point?

By the way, for those of you who use these flashes, are the newer NiMH batteries useable in older flash guns like the SB-24? If so, maybe I've still got a good use for all the rechargeable AA cells I've bought for my Olympus cameras.
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2003, 9:56 AM   #2

no you loose all that neat stuff. you do get to set it just like the old days in auto . manually. zoom and all. A is a great place to start.

the nimh batts will work on the sb24. i have a sb28

normal is for normal curtain sync. the rear is for rear curtain sync- the flash goes of at the end of the shutter cycle instead of the beginning. great effect.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:00 AM   #3

Durn, I was afraid of that. Oh well. Does the "normal" and "rear" function still work as it's supposed to, or do I lose that as well?

Has anyone here bought or used one of the new Nikon SB-800 speedlights?
(http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03...nikonsb800.asp)
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:23 AM   #4

there only one way to find out! and it won't destroy your camera to do.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 12:40 AM   #5

SJMS, you're sure right! Unfortunately..... I did a quick test today with the SB-24, and it's like flash photography in the 1960's. All that neat stuff that allows the camera and flash to work together is gone. :-(

At least it does work - if I set the camera or the flash to the proper setting, it does as good a job as ever, but I can see where I need to get myself a newer flash unit.

I called Pitman Photo, to see if I could pick up an SB-800, but they're sold out and have a long waiting list. In hindsight (which is always 20:20) I should have ordered one when I put my D2h on order... but at the time I assumed my SB-24 would be at least reasonably useful on the D2h. Wrongo.

So, in the meantime, I guess I go back and read the manual and my book on the SB-24, and learn how to get the most out of it in [M]anual mode. It's mostly a matter of convenience.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 9:59 PM   #6

An update on the above... things aren't as bad as I thought. I've been reading the book on the SB-24 and the D2h manual, and while I can't do all the neat new things (ttl stuff), I can still get good photos.

If I haven't read anything incorrectly, things work as follows. Enter the ISO speed and lens focal length into the SB-24. Put the SB-24 on "automatic" mode. Select an f/stop on the SB-24, and a matching f/stop on the D2h (aperture priority mode). Then go shoot.

Every one of the test images I did today seemed to work out just fine. I'm sure the SB-800 will be much better, but if things keep working as well as they seem to be, there's no rush in getting the new unit.... and considering how little I use flash anyway, maybe I can put it off for a lot longer.

I wish Nikon had made things backwards compatible, but then again, the SB-24 is probably 12 years old or so.... technology changes.

Hey, thanks for all the help.... again!
Old Dec 17, 2003, 3:33 PM   #7

After reading about all the options, I called B&H to see when the SB-800 will be available. It turns out that if you get the imported version (w/o US warranty), it's available right now. Price is $350. It does come with a B&H warranty.

I've got mixed feelings about it, but went ahead and ordered one. The reason I'm posting this here, is to correct what I said earlier, that if you want one you have to get on a waiting list.