Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Default Nikon D40 questions

I just got an offer of a Nikon D40 for $400 CAD, including:
Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm Lens
Tiffen 52mm Sky-1A filter
Battery and Charger
Nikon Custom Semi-Hard Case
8GB SD Card

First question - is that a reasonable price for this setup or is it too high?

Second question - what else would I need in order to be able to take both close and distant pictures? I know I would need an AF prime lens to complete the package with this camera, but if I wanted to be able to zoom and get shots of aircraft or of birds, will this lens do it or would I need a zoom lens as well or is this going to do a decent job?

and finally - what kind of prints will I be able to get from a 6.1MP camera? Will it give me a high enough quality to print a wall-size portrait?

Thanks in advance!
kaaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2010, 2:19 PM   #2

That would be an ok kit, but there are 10MP dSLRs selling for less than that on Amazon.com. I think the price is too high. Is that new or used? If it's new, I can imageine a retailer trying to get that, buit I'd give it a pass. If it's used, I'd expect it to be abiout half as much, before I'd even look at it.

The 18-55 is a middle-of-the-road lens. It's not real wide and it's definately not real long. If you want to shoot distant subjects, and don't want to spend a fortune on a lens, a 6MP image sensor doesn't give you a lot of room to crop and still get good 8x10s.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Last edited by TCav; Oct 2, 2010 at 2:23 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 2:49 PM   #3

Thanks - it's used, although he describes it as "showroom condition." You said pretty much what I was thinking... but I wanted more than just my own opinion to go on.
kaaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:18 AM   #4

I agree with TCay.

i may be paranoid, but i dont usually trust secondhand private sellers as much as i would refurb'd or maybe even adorama's used equipment section. i can tell you that i use my camera everywhere and with decent abuse, but it doesnt necessarily have any signs of wear and tear so i can sell it as "showroom condition" if i was that kind of person.

although D40 is a great camera in its own right, there are higher model, more recent cameras like the D5000 and even the D90 (ive seen them as low as $750 body-only) on websites for a great price.
phil325 is offline   Reply With Quote