Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:45 AM   #1
Default D5000 Flash Observations

Hi, I've never been a great one for flash but this Christmas I have been experimenting with mine,after having the D5000 for 18months +.( I usually go for natural light if possible + High ISO)
What I have found may just help a newbie or two.
First of all when Auto ISO is selected and any of P.A.S.M used, the flash will, according to ambient light, select a possibly high ISO and use the flash almost like a fill in.
If you want the flash to do it all deselect Auto ISO then it will up the flash output and give a different result with a darker background possibly.
If you use the Green flash mode the camera takes over as far Auto ISO's concerned and ups it if needed.
I found that with Auto ISO selected the pics were a bit brighter than letting the flash do it all, with less tendency to burn out close highlights.
I only have the SB400 so perhaps the big boys give a better result with auto ISO deselected,I do tend to bounce off the ceiling where poss.
Also if you have you focus set to Dynamic the focus assist light only works with the central focus point selected.
D5100 +18-200mVR Nikkor lens.
SB400 Flash, ML-L3 Remote.
SB 700 Flash
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links