Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:41 PM   #11

Originally Posted by quinton View Post
Check here for settings..http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm
thanks for the link..
BiGTooT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:57 AM   #12

I'm far from a master on these things, but my experience is that most of the action on sharpness is in the lens. There are at least two ways that this is important. First, if you're using a travel zoom, you are not going to get tack-sharp images. The lens is made for convenience, not crispness.

Second, I have found that you can use a lens in some contexts to good effect and in others it will disappoint. For example, I have a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 "portrait macro." The nickname says it all -- the lens is stellar for portraits and marco photography. It is probably the sharpest lens I own for those purposes. However, I sometimes use it as a short tele, and the lens is a disaster! For some reason, it just doesn't want to focus right in any but high-contrast situations when the subject is out 20-30 yards. I don't know what it is, but the lens always seems to give soft results in that kind of context. So I am starting to learn to stay out of those contexts, to steal an old joke's punchline.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote