Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:59 AM   #1
Default Nikon D7000 - Sharp Pictures

Hello D7000 users,

Im new to nikon cameras, previously was using a canon t2i....i feel D7000 is a very complex camera.. and i need to learn alot...

To begin with can anyone give me the right settings for focus...i was in the dpreview website and most of them recommend to use 9 point focus instead of the 39 points...

so far im not happy with the pictures most of them are out of focus & not sharp images..

Also what is with the New 2016 pixel metering sensor.. what are advantages? and how different is it with other cameras.. canon.. etc... or is it just a marketing strategy....

Please help me as i want to improve my skills, i feel the camera is very strong with lots of features...

Cameraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:21 AM   #2

Iíve found that many explanations in the Nikon manuals are complete and can be understood. However, their explanations are short and very dense with information. It is important to read the Nikon manual slowly, and to read every single word. If you try to skim the text then you wonít understand what theyíre saying.

The 9/21/39 point options of Dynamic Area AF have nothing to do with AutoFocus accuracy. Dynamic Area AF is used when you want to capture an erratically moving subject at your selected focus point.

Letís say you want to capture a bird in flight at the center of the viewfinder. But that bird is moving erratically and you can't keep it in the center (but you're still trying.) In order to keep the AF system from trying to focus on nothing when the bird slips away from the center focus point, you use Dynamic Area AF. With Dynamic Area AF, if the bird leaves the center focus point for a moment, the camera doesn't try to focus on nothing. Instead, it will recognize that the subject has moved, and keep the focus on that subject. The presumption, though, is that you're actively trying to get the subject (your bird) back to the center focus point. This is pretty much what page 94 of your manual says.

Note that with Dynamic AF you really should make an effort to catch the subject at the selected focus point because, even though the other focus points are helping to maintain focus, exposure is only based on the selected focus point. This is important for Matrix and Spot metering modes. Those 2016 pixels of the metering system help with autofocus and metering accuracy.

If youíre having a problem getting static objects sharp, then there might be a problem with the camera. The first thing you should do is fine tune the AF using the instructions on page 246 of your D7000 manual. The way to test your focus is to put your camera on a tripod, set up a flat target with some text, and take a LiveView picture and a non-LiveView picture. Use A mode and set aperture to f/8. Use a dark room and use the flash. The LiveView picture should always be sharp because it uses a different focusing process. The non-LiveView image should be as sharp as the LiveView. If not, then you may need to tune the AF. If itís really bad you may need to send your camera to Nikon for an adjustment (which is not unheard of.)
Graystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:36 AM   #3

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:26 AM   #4

I think it would help to know what you're shooting first.. a moving subject or a portrait or landscape.

All 3 will have different settings.
I shoot through a Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens on a Nikon D90 and an SB-600.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:41 AM   #5

Diagnosing your problem(s) is easier if we have more specifics about the shooting situations. So, provide an example of where you were unhappy with the results and post the shot you took as well. Having that information will allow people here to help you make adjustments.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:46 AM   #6

I think you would do well to google up some basic articles on shooting sharp pictures. Getting purposeful about sharpness should help. If your pics are mostly out of focus then it's most likely a technique issue unless there's a problem with your camera or lens. The former is more likely though. Best of luck.

DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 2:17 AM   #7

thanks every one .. apologies for replying so late..

special thanks to graystar.. im not a bird shooter... but using the camera most of time for taking pictures of my kids & family

after reading the manuals.. i would say that the images have improved a bit.. most of the time i using single point af-s mode....

i have noticed that at low light conditions 105mm the live view mode is very slow.. it keeps trying to focus...but when i switch off live view .. it focuses quickly.. has anyone noticed this?
Old Mar 27, 2011, 4:12 AM   #8
Super Moderator

The quick answer is that AF in live view isn't nearly as fast on any dSLR apart from Sony. I know on Canon there is a quick AF option which closes the shutter to use the normal AF system, this is what I usually use before doing anything with AF. After that I just manual focus.

For normal shooting you are best to use single focus point and one shot AF. I don't know what it is called on Nikon, but don't use servo mode otherwise as you move around the camera will keep trying to re focus.
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:48 AM   #9

Check here for settings..http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm
quinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:26 AM   #10

Originally Posted by quinton View Post
Check here for settings..http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm
thanks quinton......im using the settings recommended by Ken Rockwell....