Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:22 PM   #1
Default Nikon D40x lenses

I'm thinking of buying one of these cameras for my daughter as she is showing an interest in photography.

I have a Nikon 24-120 VR lens and a Sigma 15-30mm lens and was wondering if these lenses would work with a D40X?

Thanks for your time and help

howiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2011, 7:21 PM   #2

The D40x does not have a built in focus motor. So, if you want Autofocus, you'll need to stick with lenses that have motors built in.

In the Nikon lineup, that means that only AF-S (Silent Wave Motor) lenses will Autofocus on a D40x. In the Sigma lineup, you'll need their HSM (Hypersonic Motor) lenses if you want Autofocus on a D40x (and the Sigma 15-30mm is not an HSM lens).

So, your Nikkor should work (it's an AF-S lens). But, the Sigma wouldn't Autofocus on a D40x (as that Sigma requires a camera body that has a motor built in if you want Autofocus with it).

In the Nikon lineup, you'd need to move up to a D90 to get Autofocus with lenses that don't have motors built in.

The D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, and D5000 bodies all lack body based focus motors.

BTW, you do realize that the D40x is a discontinued model that was introduced in 2007, right?

It was replaced by the D60 (also discontinued now) in 2008. The D60 was replaced by the D3000 in 2009. The D3000 is still shown as a current model. But, there is a newer D3100 introduced in 2010 now that is mostly it's replacement. See the current Nikon dSLR lineup here:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote