Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 10, 2011, 8:51 AM   #1
Default Focus is stuck on one area square

I have a D70, and when I shoot in A mode, my focus is now stuck on one area location (the right square).

It used to move from square to square, not sure what it depended on (it seems to change if i kept clicking the shutter button 1/2 way). If I shoot in auto mode, it still does that, but when i switch to A mode, it moves the focus to the right square and is stuck there, does not change no matter what i try.

Does anyone know how to change this, so it will focus in diff square or at least the middle one, or best if it enables me to chose in some way.

Thank you,

i'm adding some pictures to see what i am talking about.
2 pictures, one is the whole camera, and one is zoomed on issu.
Attached Images
amitbarkan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:53 AM   #2

You didn't per chance change the focal area from variable to zone and stick it there. I know mine does that...where I can set it so IT decides where to focus or I can move the focal point and it stays there Until I change it back...and only in the mode I am in.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 9:16 PM   #3

Is the slide switch below the joystick pointing to the dot or the "L"?

4-way controller

In shooting mode where AF point selection is enabled the 4-way controller is used to choose AF points. In playback mode this control reverts to image navigation / menu movement. The 4-way controller can be locked by setting the small lever below the dial to the 'L' position. This only locks its AF point selection feature, not menu navigation or image browsing.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:19 AM   #4

As Bob mentioned, the slide switch is probably on the "L" position.

I've got the Nikon D70s and I was able to duplicate your situation by moving the switch to the "L" position, and it acts just like you describe.

Move the switch off the "L" position and then in "A" mode you can move the focus point around with the 4-way controller when shooting.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote