Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:53 AM   #1
Default A stupid question about the D5000...

I have not seen information on what happens during Continuous Release Mode operation on the D5000. The manual is stunningly uninformative on this. So here's my question: Does the camera refocus between shots? Does it change exposure as needed? Just what all happens when you shoot continuously? Does this vary with focus mode -- does servo focus refocus between shots, while single mode does not? Any help would be appreciated.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:26 AM   #2

With the exception of a few minor features, everything works the same whether the release mode is set to Continuous or not.

That is, if AF-C Continuous-servo is selected, the camera will continue to AF on moving subjects, though the camera will contine to take shots even as the camera has yet to obtain focus. Also, you can't use the Continuous relase mode while using the built-in flash, and when using bracketing, continuous shooting will pause in between each bracketing sequence. Lastly, the orientation (Landscape or Portrait) recorded for the first shot will be applied to all subsequent shots in a burst, even if the orientation of the camera changes during the burst.

As for exposure, It's been my experience that, if I pan from a bright scene to a dim scene while shooting continuous, it might take a shot or two for the exposure system to catch up, but it will catch up.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote