Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:02 PM   #1
Default I Think I'm Learning A Little

I've owned a few of the super zoom point and shoot camera's here and there, and got some pretty good shots but never realy knew what the heak I was doing, so any good shots i got were by accident...
I recently decided to get a real camera, so I got the D7000 bundle deal with the extra 55-300mm lense for $1,749.00. I also got a nice case and two 32GB SD cards, so it wound up being about $2,000.00 with the tax and all.
I figure I may as well learn wht I'm doing so I went out today and used aperture priority mode to take some pics. I used matrix metering, AF-C, and 3D tracking.
I love nature photography, so I went out to a local park to take some nature pics using these metering and focus methods so I could practice using them in real situations. I played around with the ISO and aperture for different shots so I could see how it allowed me to keep the shutter speed fast enough at different aperture settings, and how the aperture settings effect depth of field.
I got some good shots (at least for the very beginner level), and here are a few of them...

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:40 PM   #2

Nicely done. You're well on your way. Have fun.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 7:45 PM   #3

You are off to a good start. The best thing is you are out there shooting. You cannot learn if you don't press the shutter button. Good for you!!!

Just make sure to look over your photos and ask yourself "wouldn't it be nice if _______________ ." and fill in the blank with something you think would make the photo better. It will just get you thinking for the next time your out with the camera.

I really like the goose and the lilly pad pic. That one is special! Which is your favorite?

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:17 PM   #4

Good job on your focusing. In the first shot you can easily see your depth of field. Also nicely done on that flock of diving birds. Nice depth of field there too and thats not easily done on the fly.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote