Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 30, 2011, 7:47 PM   #1
Default Nikon D5000

I am in the photo club at my school and we walk around school just taking pictures of people. i was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to make the photo's look better and more in depth? i have everything stock on the camera with the stock lens. Please help!!
kabobji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2011, 4:27 AM   #2

Can you post some of the results you've gotten so far?
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:58 AM   #3

Everyones idea of what looks better will differ but if you mean punchier.
Go into your " Shooting Menu " ,turn off "Active D Lighting" then still in " Shooting Menu " select "Set Picture Control" highlight "Standard" press the fourway control pad to the right,
you can then adjust sharpness ,contrast,brightness ,saturation and hue. Thereby coming up with what in your opinion is better. If you switch Auto D lighting on it will cancel out your own contrast and brightness settings. Alternatively if you have it you can boost your pics with Photo shop or P.Shop Elements or a variety of other programs.Another way, is from Set Picture Control select Vivid for example, which Ken Rockwell maintains he does all the time.
Hope this helps.
D5100 +18-200mVR Nikkor lens.
SB400 Flash, ML-L3 Remote.
SB 700 Flash
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:25 AM   #4

Three things offhand -

Learn to look for and capture good lighting. This can mean using reflectors or flash (off-camera flash is best followed by bouncing flash off a wall or ceiling) or just looking for times when the light is hitting someone just right especially from above (sunlight especially and morning or late afternoon evening sunlight even moreso). Ultimately you just want good lighting on people's faces. That can be achieved with something as simply as using a piece of paper to reflect some ambient light onto them.

Learn about good composition - rule of thirds, etc.. Just start by reading some articles about photo composition.

Learn to post-process using a program like Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.. IMHO the secret to good photos has little to nothing to do with camera settings. I shoot in RAW (for maximum latitude in post-processing) and process most photos in Lightroom so the jpeg settings for vivid and whatnot are irrelevant.

To me though lighting and composition are the two most important things. Educate yourself on those. If you want to learn all you can about lighting then check out the Lighting 101 series at strobist.com: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Good luck.

DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:38 AM   #5

I agree - a posted photo or two (but no more) would give us a good starting point. I'm also curious by your phrase "make the photo's look better and more in depth"

What do you mean by "in depth"?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote