Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 22, 2004, 11:05 PM   #1
Default D100 - Shutter does not release sometimes!

Hi... this is my first post here.

There are times when I am ready to take a shot and my shutter release button won't take the picture. I know I am in focus as the image in the viewfinder is clear as a bell and everything else seems ready to go. If I re-focus on something else and wait a while, the camera will take a picture without a problem.

Has anyone else experienced this? What am I doing that prevents the camera from taking a picture?

I also noticed that my standard cable release won't work with my D100. Do I need to get a "special" accessory one for this camera?
Nikonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 6:21 AM   #2

I've been using a D100 for seven months and I've never encountered the probelm you describe. There is the option to prevent the shutter from operating if the subject isn't in focus, but it sounds like you've checked that out ? (the white dot on the viewfinder bar should be solid, i.e. it should stop flashing on and of).

Similarly, I use a standard mechanical shutter release with my D100 and that works fine.

I just wonder if you've got a defective unit.....

checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 7:30 AM   #3

I've had my D100 4 months and have had that problem a few times. Turns out the apperature ring on the lens was set between numbers. Once it was set correctly, it worked fine.
I also have a run of the mill, standard cable release that works like a champ. Keep in mund though, that when you screw it into the shutter release button it won't go all the way.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:51 AM   #4

I have seen the problem on both my F100 (35mm) and D100. It is a question of focus. The camera may appear to be focused and you have the dot indicating focus but it is not focuse. The best thing to do in this case is switch to manual focus, focus on the image, and shoot.

If it were a case of the aperture ring not in the correct position and locked, you would see "err" in the top display.

Hope this helps.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote