Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:30 PM   #1
Default Suggestions: Lower Cost Macro Lens &Auto Focus Importance: D5000

Hello Again!

Once again I am looking for a bit of advice. I know the lenses I am looking at do not auto focus on my camera, but I am looking at two lenses at the moment, but only one is macro.

So firstly, how important is auto focus with Macro work (nature), and Wide Angle shots (mostly nature and architecture)?

I want the tonika AF 11-16mm f/2.8 and the tonika AF 100 mm f/2.8.

What would you replace these wants with? are these two lens worth it? Right now I have the original lens, 18-55mm lens, and a nikon 28-300mm af-s. I was looking at a few others as well, but if cost is an issue (to a point), what would your dream team be for macro and wide angle?

I cannot decide what I want more... I am torn!
JAVIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:16 PM   #2

I can only relate from my experience on this. I primarily photograph wildflowers in the Spring with my macro lens (50mm Sigma). Although my D80 has in camera focus, I find most of the time that I manual focus, especially when working in close. I also work with a focusing rail on a tripod, so the two go together.

You will find that the depth of field is often small and you need to have a certain part or feature of a flower in focus and the only way is manual. I know the people who photograph insects have the same problem and often use manual focus.

The problem is aggravated with flowers as often a breeze is moving them around. Once you get use to manual focus though, it's not a real problem. Good luck on your decision.
Nikon D80, Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:31 PM   #3

Current DSLR viewing screens aren't very good for judging focus as they don't have the split image prisms on the screen like the manual focus SLRs had. You can use the autofocus lock green dot indicator in the viewfinder to judge if you're in focus or not even with manual focus lenses however.

A macro lens at close range will snap in and out of focus quite rapidly but may be harder to judge at more normal distances. A wide angle zoom may be quite difficult to manual focus because of the enormous depth of field. In any case manual focus at normal shooting distances will be slower and may cause you to miss shots of fast moving subjects.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote