Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:54 AM   #1

Default I NEED TWO DSLRs now! NIKON- please read

Long story short- I was able to convince my wife into buying a D5100 about a year ago. My angle was that she has always said she wanted one, and in reality so had I.

Now, we are out together quite often shooting and play pass the camera which has quickly become a P.I.T.A.! SO, I need some help.

We own a Nikon D5100 with the 18-55 kit lens, and the 55-200 kit lens. The lenses are OKAY, but I would really like to buy some better ones.

My question is----- What model Nikon is out that I could purchase and still keep the interchangability of lenses? I figured with the cost of lenses, it would probably be smartest to go with something we can swap from time to time?

Thanks for the help guys, and PLEASE help me keep our photog marriage passion strong!!
cturboaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:39 AM   #2

I suggest that you purchase another Nikon D5100. Why ? Because you both are already familiar with it's operation and the procedures required for it's various settings. Another reason is simply because the Nikon D5100 is a fabulous DSLR. As for better/different lenses, I would suggest the Nikkor DX AF-S 35MM F/1.8G or the Nikkor DX AF-S 40MM Micro F/2.8G. The 35mm is great for indoor no flash shots and the 40mm is a great prime with the additional advantage of shooting macro. Both lenses are sharp and easy on the bank account.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:46 AM   #3

Thats the way its looking to go!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:25 AM   #4

Every current lens from Nikon or anybody else (except for a select few special purpose lenses) will work fine on your D5100. And while there's a lot to be said for getting another D5100, there's also something to be said for getting something different, but not so different that you have to learn a new piece of gear. The D5100 is priced very well right now, but that's because it's being replaced by the 24MP D5200. Either would be a good choice, and getting another D5100 would allow you to spend more money on more and better glass, which is always a good idea.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Every current lens from Nikon or anybody else (except for a select few special purpose lenses) will work fine on your D5100. And while there's a lot to be said for getting another D5100, there's also something to be said for getting something different, but not so different that you have to learn a new piece of gear. The D5100 is priced very well right now, but that's because it's being replaced by the 24MP D5200. Either would be a good choice, and getting another D5100 would allow you to spend more money on more and better glass, which is always a good idea.
Im thinking the same way after just a few posts. The question is- whats the price tag on the 5200 standard kit (so i can still share lenses) and would it be better to just go with the same camera and get some better glass? Im thinking if the price on the 5200 is much higher than a basic setup of the 5100, I'll probably go with the 5100. On a sidenote- I just watched a hilarious video on youtube on cheap dslr with great lens. It was fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5IM...ure=g-high-rec
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I just seen that it had a price tag of 719.99 / 899.00. In US dollars thats around $1200 beans! THATS WAY OUT OF MY RANGE!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 2:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cturboaddict View Post
On a sidenote- I just watched a hilarious video on youtube on cheap dslr with great lens. It was fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5IM...ure=g-high-rec
The lens is the thing.

I'm sure I read that somewhere.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:21 PM   #8

I think you would be better off with the older Nikon model D5100 rather than Nikon's newer and more expensive D5200 replacement model. The only major difference between the two is the image sensor. The Nikon D5100 has the same superb 16 megapixel sensor and processor as what is in the outstanding Nikon D7000. The new Nikon D5200 has an image sensor rated at a whopping 24 megapixels. Nikon did not increase the physical size of the sensor, they just crammed more megapixels onto it. Unless you plan on buying some very expensive glass, this many megapixels will result in revealing optical image flaws that would not be noticeable or apparent with a lower megapixel count. Also, you must ask yourself if you really need this much resolution that a 24 megapixel sensor will produce. Do you plan on printing poster size pictures or larger ? And then there is the issue of the massive file sizes that a 24 megapixel sensor will produce that has to be stored on you card and on your computer. I suggest you go with the Nikon D5100 or even better yet, if your budget will permit get the Nikon D7000.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by surplusshooter View Post
I think you would be better off with the older Nikon model D5100 rather than Nikon's newer and more expensive D5200 replacement model. The only major difference between the two is the image sensor. The Nikon D5100 has the same superb 16 megapixel sensor and processor as what is in the outstanding Nikon D7000. The new Nikon D5200 has an image sensor rated at a whopping 24 megapixels. Nikon did not increase the physical size of the sensor, they just crammed more megapixels onto it. Unless you plan on buying some very expensive glass, this many megapixels will result in revealing optical image flaws that would not be noticeable or apparent with a lower megapixel count. Also, you must ask yourself if you really need this much resolution that a 24 megapixel sensor will produce. Do you plan on printing poster size pictures or larger ? And then there is the issue of the massive file sizes that a 24 megapixel sensor will produce that has to be stored on you card and on your computer. I suggest you go with the Nikon D5100 or even better yet, if your budget will permit get the Nikon D7000.
I have asked myself this. And others- Went to two camera shops today and talked with them. They really didnt have an answer why or why not either. I did get to play with some 50mm and 35mm 1.8s though at the shop. Def next purchase for lens.

Rumor has it, my step-mother in law (also a photog) is sending one of her old cameras to donate to my wife an I. I think she is a canon gal, but not sure. Im not even sure what model or what it is. My wife just informed me of this after talking to her about the lenses I played with today. Hopefully its in decent shape to do what I need to.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 4:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by surplusshooter View Post
... The new Nikon D5200 has an image sensor rated at a whopping 24 megapixels. Nikon did not increase the physical size of the sensor, they just crammed more megapixels onto it. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cturboaddict View Post
I have asked myself this. And others- Went to two camera shops today and talked with them. They really didnt have an answer why or why not either. ...
Resolution is never a bad thing. What surplusshooter seems to want to forget is that Nikon (Sony) didn't just cram more photoreceptors onto the sensor, they also did away with some of the wasted space between photoreceptors when they did it. The image quality of the 24MP is just as good as the 16MP sensor, and when you can take advantage of the extra resolution, it's always there even if you don't know you want it. Another thing is that even average lenses have some places in their zoom and aperture range where they are very good, and you can capitalize on that with a 24MP sensor, when a 16MP sensor might miss it.

There's nothing bad about having more resolution, and sometimes it's good.