Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Default D7000

Hi,
Been an Oly user for a long time but from a lens standpoint it is very difficult to find anything over 300mm in the 4/3 format unless you want to pay big money. I have been trying to buy a D7000 used with low count, but everytime I get ready to punch buy it now I keep thinking do I really need the 7000 or would the D90 work just as well.
Looking at 3 to 400 more difference between the two cameras. I already pulled the string on a sigma 50 500 for Nikon so I'm locked into one or the other. Is the 7000 that much better ??
Eric
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:57 PM   #2

The D7000 has a 16MP image sensor while the D90 is only 12MP, and the D7000 can shoot up to 6 frames per second, while the D90 can only do up to 4.5. Other than that, they're very much alike.

I'd suggest you stay away from used dSLRs. dSLRs have mechanical parts, and there's no way to know how much use and abuse a camera has received. Perhaps a Refurbished D7000 might be a good choice for you.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:39 PM   #3

I think that is a decision that only you can make. Yes, the D90 "only" has 12 megapixels, but whether or not that will have an impact on your images remains to be seen. I purchased a used D90 the couple of years ago, and I've had good luck with it. I'm not a professional photographer, don't expect perfection. But my camera does everything that I need. If you have to have the most megapixels and the fastest burst shooting, then no, the D90 isn't for you. But it really is a fine camera. Looking back, I don't think saving the couple of hundred dollars to purchase used was really worth it. If I was to do it again I would purchase new. No problems with the camera. In the long run, though, I just think it's smarter to purchase new and get the full warranty.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:45 PM   #4

I'm still very happy with my own D90. But that Sony 16MP sensor in the D7000 is very nice.And there are other minor differences between them that makes the D7000 an atrractive option. For instance, the D7000 can go as fast as 1/8000, while the D90 only goes to 1/4000. Also the D7000 has two card slots instead of the D90's one, and they can use the faster, higher capacity SDXC cards.

They're both very good. ... but the D7000 is better.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eharrim View Post
Hi,
Been an Oly user for a long time but from a lens standpoint it is very difficult to find anything over 300mm in the 4/3 format unless you want to pay big money. I have been trying to buy a D7000 used with low count, but everytime I get ready to punch buy it now I keep thinking do I really need the 7000 or would the D90 work just as well.
Looking at 3 to 400 more difference between the two cameras. I already pulled the string on a sigma 50 500 for Nikon so I'm locked into one or the other. Is the 7000 that much better ??
Eric
Hi Eric,

I've owned the D90 and for the last year, the D7000. Your buying a Sigma 50-500mm, tells me, that you're going to be shooting wildlife and birds. With that being the case, the D7000 is the better choice due to it's better AF system and better high ISO performance. Remember, the Sigma when wide open is between f4 and at 500mm the aperture is f6.3. If you're shooting at low light, the D7000 will out perform the D90.

If your primary photographic style would be concentrating on landscapes and static subjects, than the D90 would be fine.

One additional point; Nikon is supposed to be releasing the D7000 replacement in the next month or so.When that happens, the pricing of the D7000 will be discounted to clear out inventory. Also, people upgrading to the new camera will be selling off their D7000. prices will fall. Maybe waiting a month or so would save you a considerable amount of money.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Jan 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:19 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies guys,
You're right Zig it's mostly for wildlife and birds. I did however have a typo, it's the sigma 150 500 with OS, not the 50 500 bigma. I gave a lot of thought to the 70 200 f2.8 but I've always wanted to try one of the 500mm lenses and I can't afford the regular Nike lenses at that range with a tag of around 8 grand. I would have to go back to work full time and 50 years is enough : )
If I'm not fond of it I will probably sell it and try the 70 200 + 2x or sigma 120 400.
Eric
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys,
You're right Zig it's mostly for wildlife and birds. I did however have a typo, it's the sigma 150 500 with OS, not the 50 500 bigma. I gave a lot of thought to the 70 200 f2.8 but I've always wanted to try one of the 500mm lenses and I can't afford the regular Nike lenses at that range with a tag of around 8 grand. I would have to go back to work full time and 50 years is enough : )
If I'm not fond of it I will probably sell it and try the 70 200 + 2x or sigma 120 400.
Eric
Hi Eric,

Sigma actually makes a very good 70-200mm 2.8 lens. The newer models are pricier than the original version, but still significantly less than the NIKKOR 70-200mm f2.8 VR11. I have a friend who has the older version of the 70-200mm f2.8 Sigma and I find it to be very sharp. It is a little softer than the NIKKOR, wide open, but if you step it down a stop or 2, it really sharpens up nicely.

Another lens , while not as fast as the 70-200mm is the Nikon 70-300mm vr lens. It is quite a good lens. A used one can be picked up for under 500 dollars.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:38 PM   #8

I've seen some very nice shots with the 70 200 f2.8 but I spent a lot of time checking out the 7000 with the 150 500 and I saw some very nice pics out there with that combination so that's where I'm going to be to start. I just picked up a 7000 off of Adorama.
Man between the lens and the camera, I feel like my wallet just gave birth to twins.
Eric
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:08 PM   #9

Quote:
I've seen some very nice shots with the 70 200 f2.8 but I spent a lot of time checking out the 7000 with the 150 500 and I saw some very nice pics out there with that combination so that's where I'm going to be to start. I just picked up a 7000 off of Adorama.
Man between the lens and the camera, I feel like my wallet just gave birth to twins.
Eric
Congratulations Eric.

I'm sure you're going to be quite pleased with this combo. The AF system in the D7000 will blow away anything you've experienced with the E-510.

The one caveat is that the D7000 is so feature rich that you really need to download the users manual onto your desktop and have it handy for reference.
You've got yourself a heck of a camera.

Zig

Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:54 PM   #10

Thanks Zig,
The other killer on the Olys was ISO. It will be really nice to have a camera where ISO 1600 is actually usable : ) I never dared venture past 400 or I had to PS noise issues.