Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default D600 Status

So, what's the latest scoop on the oil/dust on sensor issues with the D600? Based on recent reviews on Amazon, it seems like the issue remains with no satisfactory fix from Nikon? I'm in a wait and see mode re. an upgrade from my D300s.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:43 PM   #2

Jehan,

Do you remember last year the noise in the forums with the Nikon D7000?, everybody was complaining for the oil on the sensor issue, if you check the forums now you will notice that nobody else is reporting the problem.

The D600 is an amazing camera and the oil problem will disappear from it with the time, if you want to upgrade to the D600 just buy the camera and enjoy it.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:59 PM   #3

I love my D600. I don't regret buying it in October. I haven't seen any dust/oil. If I do I plan to return it to Nikon for cleaning. No big deal. The dust/oil issues really bugs me because it seems only a few people have a problem. There are 209 reviews on Amazon. Only 49 have a 1 and 2 star rating. How many D600 did Amazon sell? How many Amazon orders have problems? We don't know. Besides Amazon, how many D600 have been sold since October and how many have problems? We don't know. We don't have any real data. I agree this should not happened. I am sure Nikon has been collecting D600 data since October and probably before that. They already know how big the problem is and they have probably already corrected their manufacturing process, assuming this was the cause of the problem. Everyone seems to be forgeting the problem with the D800 when it came out. That problem (green-shift) has not been fixed. The D600, D800, D800E and D4 all have the same insides. They are all the same cameras designed and produced at the same time with the same insides, differing only in exterior casing and when Nikon chose to announce them. Nikon got cheap and really only developed one set of guts that's used for all three cameras, and then announced them at different times to try to hide it. They produce the same images with the same processing power, the same LCDs, the same green-shift problems and identical AF controls. They differ only in exterior packaging and when Nikon chose to announce them to make them appear different. Bottom line: buy the D600 if you want it. Lots of people have bought the D600 and haven't had any problems.
robertbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbjr View Post
I love my D600. I don't regret buying it in October. I haven't seen any dust/oil. If I do I plan to return it to Nikon for cleaning. No big deal. The dust/oil issues really bugs me because it seems only a few people have a problem. There are 209 reviews on Amazon. Only 49 have a 1 and 2 star rating. How many D600 did Amazon sell? How many Amazon orders have problems? We don't know. Besides Amazon, how many D600 have been sold since October and how many have problems? We don't know. We don't have any real data. I agree this should not happened. I am sure Nikon has been collecting D600 data since October and probably before that. They already know how big the problem is and they have probably already corrected their manufacturing process, assuming this was the cause of the problem. Everyone seems to be forgeting the problem with the D800 when it came out. That problem (green-shift) has not been fixed. The D600, D800, D800E and D4 all have the same insides. They are all the same cameras designed and produced at the same time with the same insides, differing only in exterior casing and when Nikon chose to announce them. Nikon got cheap and really only developed one set of guts that's used for all three cameras, and then announced them at different times to try to hide it. They produce the same images with the same processing power, the same LCDs, the same green-shift problems and identical AF controls. They differ only in exterior packaging and when Nikon chose to announce them to make them appear different. Bottom line: buy the D600 if you want it. Lots of people have bought the D600 and haven't had any problems.
Thanks for stopping by Ken Rockwell
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:22 PM   #5

No dust or oil on mine yet ... 3 months old, 1k actuations.
pwfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:07 PM   #6

there are hints that nikon has the fix for the dust/oil issue. my body is in right now. others report having lots of parts replaced. hopefully correcting the problem. stay in wait and see mode for a while. u may even luck out and see the d400 come out.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 4:40 PM   #7

purchased my d600 kit 12/2012 no problems to date. Why wait?
camano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:56 AM   #8

I, too, decided to pull the trigger on the D600. Ordered a refurb body from Adorama. Came this past Wednesday. I purposely ordered the factory refurbed body thinking that Nikon would have cleaned the sensor. The first image I took with the camera was a simple blue sky shot with the aperture set to f22.

Sure enough, I can see some spots on the image. Not many, mind you, but they are there none the less. I'm not at all worried about them. The D7000 that I've been shooting with the last 18months, has many more spots in a blue sky shot using the same settings. They've been quite easy to clean up on pp in the few times that I use an aperture closed down that far.

Meanwhile, the image quality from the D600 is everything I had hoped for.

I'll post a few pics when the weather changes. It's been god awful these last days.

The next step is to get a lens or two for it.
Geez, I'm just never satisfied.......

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Jehan,

Do you remember last year the noise in the forums with the Nikon D7000?, everybody was complaining for the oil on the sensor issue, if you check the forums now you will notice that nobody else is reporting the problem.

The D600 is an amazing camera and the oil problem will disappear from it with the time, if you want to upgrade to the D600 just buy the camera and enjoy it.

Marcelo
I agree

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:40 AM   #10

Congrat's, Zig...!

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote