Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:46 AM   #1

Default What lens for D90

Hi,

just upgraded from my D40 with a second-hand D90 and have these lenses :

Tokina 11-16
Nikon 55-200 VR
Nikkor 35-80mm f/4.0~5.6D ( was part of my old SLR, the F601)

What lens would you recommend to complete the set ?
I was thinking to get a 35mm f/1.8 , as the fastest lens I have is the Tokina...

I shoot landscapes, family events, my wife ( doesn't like to pose at all ), my two years old daughter, and I am try to be a bit artistic, with not a great deal of success.

Maybe I should go to photography classes instead of spending money on more lenses...

Any honest advice appreciated

Thanks
ciotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:05 AM   #2

Hi,

My suggestion is before you buy anything else, just try using the camera with the lenses you have. The D90 is a great camera. But, to get the most out of it,
my recommendation is to download the reference manual and read it.

The Tokina 11-16mm is a good wide angle lens suited well for landscape photography. And, the 55-200 VR lens has a decent medium long focal range.

The one weak spot is your 35-80mm lens. I would prefer a lens such as the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or the Nikon 18-105mm VR.

But, rather than concentrate on a new lens, concentrate on getting to know the camera and what it can do with the lenses you have. In no time at all, you'll know what you can and cannot do with the current lenses.

You'll then be in a much better position to decide the next lens you need.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 4:08 PM   #3

Just to add to what Zig has said, the thing you need to do right now besides learning (I mean really learning) your D90 is to decide what you like to photograph that you cannot do with the lenses you already have. Speaking from experience, it's foolish to just go buy lenses to complete our arsenal. I did that, and I now have a couple of lenses that I seldom/never use. So just take a little time to evaluate what you want to do that you can't, and then decide what you need to fill that gap.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:43 PM   #4

Thanks guys,

I'll do that in the right order:
-learn
-try
-assess
-decide

Cheers

P
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:00 AM   #5

Default to Zig-123

Hi Zig-123

just checking your website : great photos !
Bright, crisp colors, excellent subjects...I don't know how to say it right, but the photos contain just what they need to contain, I hope I can take at least one photo as good as any of yours.

Here is one I took in Perth with my D40....did a bit of retouching but not much, I like to keep the photo as it is as much as possible :-)

P
Attached Images

Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:41 AM   #6

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at then to comment.

There are indeed a lot of very accomplished photographers, here at Steve's, who are willing to give good advice freely and are ready to step in and help.

Congrats on getting a fine camera as it will hold you in good stead for sometime to come.

Now, all you have to do is make the effort to read the manual and understands it capabilities and limitations.

You mentioned in your opening post something about possibly joining a camera club. If you can, that would really help to shorten the learning curve. Many clubs offer workshops, and seminars all designed to improve everyones skill set. You'll also most likely meet someone with a D90 there and can pick their brain as to what lenses they uses and how.

Good luck.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:11 PM   #7

you already a great lens with the tokina, and for what they cost i dont think you can go wrong with the 35 1.8 or the 50 1.8
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:42 AM   #8

Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:25 PM   #9

How is the D90 focusing for sports, birds in flight? There are an awful lot of good deals right now on the D90.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
How is the D90 focusing for sports, birds in flight? There are an awful lot of good deals right now on the D90.
Hi James,

The D90 was the first Nikon dslr that I bought when I switched from Olympus to Nikon. It was and still is a good camera. But, having been first released in 2008 it is long in the tooth.

I found the AF system good, the image quality excellent, the dynamic range far superior to the Olympus E-30 that I was using.

That being said, the D7000 is just a much better camera. And, it should be since it's feature set is significantly better.

If you're planning on buying a used D-90 than I can understand why you'd be looking at it. If you're looking at a new D90, then the pricing differences I've seen between a new D90 and a new D7000 are about a $100. From a price vs performance perspective the D7000 is a much better buy.
Zig