Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1

Default Switching Oly to Nikon

I've decided to switch from Olympus to Nikon. I own an E1 and love it, but I want more pixels. I rented an E5 last month and was not thrilled with it. Olympus is wishy washy with their DSLR development so it is time to switch.
My question is can I use my Olympus Zuiko Digital ED lens with adaptor on any Nikon D camera with any success?

Thank you,
Casey50
Casey50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:57 PM   #2

In a word , no.

It really isn't practical as the sensor sizes alone are an issue. The DX sensor of any of the D system cameras is larger than the four thirds sensor employed in the Olympus cameras. This means that the Olympus lenses are optimized for a smaller sensor.
The other issue is flange to image (sensor) distance. You will not be able to get a 43 lens to focus on a DX body.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 4:41 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. I knew about the difference in sensor and was hoping I might get some kind of match-up. Oh well. Time to sell.
Casey
Casey50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey50 View Post
Thank you for your reply. I knew about the difference in sensor and was hoping I might get some kind of match-up. Oh well. Time to sell.
Casey
I'm not sure if you're familiar with a site called fourthirdsphoto.com But it is a good place to sell your equipment as it is frequented by Olympus fourthirds camera users.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:53 AM   #5

Which lenses???

I switched most of my Oly stuff awhile back. I still have an E-3, both macro lenses, a the EC-20 (for the macro stuff) and the 50-200.

Rest assured you will likely wish for the quiet shutter, the feel of your old camera, and depending on the lenses you choose, you will likely wish for some properties of the old Zuikos.

You will gain in resolution, processing power, ISO ability, focus ability, and a more robust choice of aftermarket glass. After making the choice, give yourself a little time to re-learn with the new system. it took nearly forever to learn to turn the lenses the wrong way to mount them.

www.spanielsport.com
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
Which lenses???

I switched most of my Oly stuff awhile back. I still have an E-3, both macro lenses, a the EC-20 (for the macro stuff) and the 50-200.

Rest assured you will likely wish for the quiet shutter, the feel of your old camera, and depending on the lenses you choose, you will likely wish for some properties of the old Zuikos.

You will gain in resolution, processing power, ISO ability, focus ability, and a more robust choice of aftermarket glass. After making the choice, give yourself a little time to re-learn with the new system. it took nearly forever to learn to turn the lenses the wrong way to mount them.
Hi Greg,

It's been a while since I've seen a post from you. Hope everything is okay.

Zig

Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

It's been a while since I've seen a post from you. Hope everything is okay.

Zig
Hi Zig,

All's fine. I just had a severe alergic reaction to post processing pics. I got Photoshop and I guess I rebelled against the thought of "fixing" photos. I filled up card after card, and just never finished them. I'll have to catch up sometime, but I need to get back to my old workflow and be satisfied with that.

www.spanielsport.com
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote