Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:49 AM   #1

Default 35mm f/1.8 vs 50mm f/1.8

Hi!

I have been wondering for a while now to get one of these. I have not had the chance to try any of these out, so I was wondering if any owner can guide me as to what to buy.

The prime reason for me to get one of these is low light photography and (at times) event photography as well.

I am pretty clear on the depth frame difference. What I am confused at is the bokeh. Since BOTH are 1.8 lenses, would the bokeh be different for the same frame?

In a relationship with a Panasonic Fz40
Hama Macro Filters (+1, +2, +4)

flickr
facebook
xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:54 AM   #2

Bokeh is subjective, and is dependant on a number of things. That is, all f/1.8 lenses do not have the same bokeh. The number and shape of the aperture blades, and the optical properties of the lens all create a characteristic bokeh, that some may like and others may not.

I think you're looking for a universal perspective that doesn't exist.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:45 AM   #3

i only have the 50mm version of this lens but im considering getting the 35 as well, the reason being i find with 50 im always backing away to get the framing, not always easy when your indoors, so if your wanting low light capabilitys for using indoors i would go for the 35.
the 50mm is amazingly sharp btw and with it being slightly longer makes a better portrait lens.
im using a D90 but of course if your using a FF camera then what ive said above will be less apparant.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
i only have the 50mm version of this lens but im considering getting the 35 as well, the reason being i find with 50 im always backing away to get the framing, not always easy when your indoors, so if your wanting low light capabilitys for using indoors i would go for the 35.
I've got the 35mm, and wonder whether you'll find it enough of a change to be worth getting. Have you considered something along the lones of a 24mm lens instead?
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:58 AM   #5

the thing about the 35 and the 50 is they are so cheap, you can buy both and its still cheaper than lots of other lenses that arnt even as good.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:14 PM   #6

In my experience with these two lenses, I think the 50mm has slightly better Bokeh. However, I find the 50mm to be too long on a crop sensor camera. It acts like a 75mm on a full frame. Indoors and in tight spaces I find that I just can't back up enough. I also find that the 50mm is really not the greatest choice for portraits either. I think that the Nikon 85mm F/1.8 is far superior to the 50mm for this type of photography. I guess you could say that the 50mm lens when used on a crop sensor camera is like a lens that is in 'no mans land". Too long indoors or in tight spaces and too short for really great portraits.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:37 PM   #7

I think the 35mm would be better suited for what you want to do. As pointed out by other, 50mm on the crop body is a bit tight for indoor uses and depending on the event you many not have enough room to back up. The 50 is more suite for portrait work with a crop body.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 7:00 PM   #8

I have both the 35/1.8 and 50. For me, the 50 is a necessity, and the 35 is a luxury. It depends on what kind of shooting you do.

The 35 lives on my D3200. Like I experienced with standard 50mm lens on a film camera, it's a great general purpose lens, but it's a little too short for portraits, you would have to get "too close for comfort" or crop a lot. At concerts, standing at the foot of the stage I can get 2 people. If I take a few steps back I can get the whole stage.

A old beat up 50/1.4 lives on my D200 most of the time. That's what I grab for getting snapshots of my 1 year old nephew that's running around the house... I can get good shots without being too close for comfort. I use it at concerts, standing at the edge of the stage I can get 1 person from guitar to head, or 2 people by taking a few steps back. In a small venue, to get the whole stage I frequently have to squeeze against the back wall.

If you are shooting people indoors, the 50 may be the better choice, say for head shots a few feet away. If you are trying to get 2 people together while you are in a small small room or a crowded party where you can't step back, the 35 would be better. For landscapes I love the 35/1.8mm, it's sharper than the 18-55 kit lens, but the kit lens is pretty good at 35mm f8, and for landscapes I can use a tripod and long exposure. The kit lens is lousy at 55mm wide open.

This one is with the 35mm, standing at the edge of the stage (I cropped out some stuff)

This is with the 50mm, standing maybe 20 feet back (I cropped out some stuff)

Another with the 50, probably 10' from this guy. No cropping on this one

These are my friends from the Adam Ezra Group... Adam Ezra and Corinna Smith on guitar and fiddle. Josh Gold on the keys.
Nikon D200 and D3200 at present

Last edited by SmokinJoe; Mar 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM.
SmokinJoe is offline   Reply With Quote