Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:11 PM   #121

I will in the future use the 'direct' method for websites.

I'm on Safari 5.1.1

Edit Nov.14: Jim - I completely understood the difference at this point.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.

Last edited by Franko170; Nov 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:13 PM   #122
Administrator

IOW, the software installed on your PC should have a "Get a Public Link" choice (not the same thing as a link to Share an image with someone). You need to make sure you're using the "Public" link option to avoid the need to add something to the end of a link (and as long as the image is in your Public folder, you should able to get a direct Public link to it)

P.S.

Their Windows software (which should give you Dropbox specific menu choices in Windows Explorer when browsing files that you can use when right clicking on a image), is probably similar to the software I use in Linux for Dropbox (with a different file manager). One of those choices under Dropbox when you right click on an image should be to copy a Public Link. Their software should work similar under Windows, OS X or Linux.

I had the Dropbox software installed in my 64 Bit Win 7 installation a while back. But, I don't keep it there anymore (since it's redundant for me to have the same data in Dropbox folders under both Windows and Linux installs on the same PC, which would take up too much room on my hard drives, since I rarely boot into Windows for anything anyway).

But, if memory serves, you should see very similar menu choices if you right click on an image in Windows Explorer (the file manager you get when you click on Computer and browse folders) and look at the Dropbox specific options (one of them should be to Get a Public link or similar wording).

You would probably have the the same options with OS X Finder if you're a Mac user (right click on an image, look for a Copy Public Link choice under the Dropbox options).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:41 PM   #123
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
...You would probably have the the same options with OS X Finder if you're a Mac user (right click on an image, look for a Copy Public Link choice under the Dropbox options).
Here's a video someone posted of a tutorial for using Dropbox on a Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPDDgHVV_nQ

At around 2 minutes into it, you'll see the presenter selecting an image, then looking under the available Dropbox choices and clicking on "Copy Public Link" (at 2 minutes and 22 seconds into it you'll see that menu option being selected on a Mac).

IOW. you don't need to use a browser (Safari, etc.) to get a Public Link (that's a real direct link to an image), as long as it's in your Dropbox Public folder.

The Dropbox software installed in Linux, OS X or Windows can do that for you from the file managers built into those Operating Systems (Windows Explorer, OS X Finder, etc.). You should see that option for images in your Dropbox Public Folder for supported operating systems if you have the Dropbox Software installed.

That's the easiest way I've found to use it for embedding images in forum posts. I just find the image in my Public Folder using my File Manager (under Linux in my case) and use the built in Dropbox menu option to Copy Public Link.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:55 AM   #124

Just sharing some pictures from a Corporate Even in Las Vegas this past August.

1. Nola's Cholas

Camera
NIKON D600

Focal Length
24mm

Aperture
f/5.6

Exposure
1/60s

ISO

Camera
NIKON D600

Focal Length
24mm

Aperture
f/4

Exposure
1/125s

ISO

Camera
NIKON D600

Focal Length
27mm

Aperture
f/6.3

Exposure
1/60s

ISO

Camera
NIKON D600

Focal Length
200mm

Aperture
f/2.8

Exposure
1/400s

ISO

Have a great day everyone.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 10:48 AM   #125

Just one from the last September 11

Have a great everyone... (if somebody is out there)

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 11:40 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Just one from the last September 11

Have a great everyone... (if somebody is out there)

Marcelo
Love this shot Marcello. Just a tad over the top (In a good way) with rich colours that catch the eye. The twin beams of light makes you look twice as well. Your composition as always is exceptional.

(if somebody is out there) I think that every morning. Part of my ritual is to check biz emails, the friends and family, then my forums. Football (that's Soccer ) and my 2 main photography ones.

Don't know what's happening to this forum. Steven seems to be almost single handedly keeping the oly board alive.

I gave up posting on the "Post your pics" boards, it seems to have gotten into a clique mode. Last time I posted it was ignored (Lots of hits, no comments...Was it that bad..) except somebody took my title and put their own pics up.

I spend more time on my other forum these days. It's not camera centric and has a pretty friendly attitude.

Shame.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014, 11:43 AM   #127

Great series of shots from your Vegas event. I liked them all, from the serious to the fun.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:43 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Love this shot Marcello. Just a tad over the top (In a good way) with rich colours that catch the eye. The twin beams of light makes you look twice as well. Your composition as always is exceptional.

(if somebody is out there) I think that every morning. Part of my ritual is to check biz emails, the friends and family, then my forums. Football (that's Soccer ) and my 2 main photography ones.

Don't know what's happening to this forum. Steven seems to be almost single handedly keeping the oly board alive.

I gave up posting on the "Post your pics" boards, it seems to have gotten into a clique mode. Last time I posted it was ignored (Lots of hits, no comments...Was it that bad..) except somebody took my title and put their own pics up.

I spend more time on my other forum these days. It's not camera centric and has a pretty friendly attitude.

Shame.
Hi Ken,

Since you took the time to ask the question, it deserves an answer, at least my view of the situation.
For me, I've stopped looking at most of the photo forums I used to visit and post on. Only exception is Steve's Digicams. This is the place where I first cut my teeth on digital photography and have tried to be keep an eye on what long time forum members are up to.

I find that there are too many internet options that compete for the time I have. Also, social media site's like Facebook has cut deeply into everyone's time-mine included. I try to look at Facebook each morning so I can find out what my kids and grand kids are doing.

As for posting pics, even though I like to look at the ones my friends post, I generally don't comment, reason being, we've been doing this a long time.
You & I know the photo we've posted is a good one. How many times can one post a response like good great or wonderful job without it sounding gratuitous or phony.

I will say that I continue to visit sites like Thom Hogan's or Michael Reichmann's (Luminous Landscape) to read how-to articles on specific styles
of photography as well as the latest and greatest on gear that interest me.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:42 AM   #129

Hey Zig, I understand what you're saying. I've had to cut back from my computer time for fun, our business in real estate has just become really, really busy.

My morning visit is my to my two emails and answering the ones I don't delete.. Then Facebook. Kids and grandkids in China and New Zealand.

Then the football (sawker ) forum. My team Liverpool had a great season but missed 1st place by a couple of points.

Then Steve's just to see what's going on. I look in now and then at Luminous Landscapes. I can see how you would like this one and it's commercial aspects. One I've been posting in lately is another Photo forum.

Unless we control it time runs away.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 12:25 PM   #130

You keep making stunning pictures Marcelo, that last one is again breathtaking!

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote