Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:40 PM   #171

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Marcelo,

Nice images! What makes the D810 the best DSLR you've ever had? Would be interested in some specifics. The reason I ask is that I upgraded from a D300s to a D800. For my use (aviation photography), I can't see much of a difference. Admittedly, I am not making room sized enlargements . Low light capability is much improved...but so is it on my new D7100 as well.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:10 PM   #172

Hi Jehan,

I had the D300 a few year ago and I upgraded to the D7100 (which I love it) also the D610 and now the D810. If you can't see much of a difference between the D800 and the D300's is going to be hard for me to show you the improvements and benefits of this camera but let me try.

Low ISO - The ISO 64 of the D810 offer better IQ than the D300's (lower ISO 200) / D800 (lower is 100) and of course the D7100. The D300 has visible noise in shadows even at base ISO. It is great for me to have this lower ISO to use it in long exposures.

High ISO - The low light capability of the D810 is improved, their high ISO's are cleaner than the cameras mentioned before, great improvement in both luminance and color fidelity. I think according with my experience the maximum on the D300's to avoid noise is ISO 800 on the D7100 ISO 1200 and compared with the D610 I say it is very similar but the noise grain of the D810 is more acceptable.

Resolution 32mpix vs ~12 (D300's) 24 (D610) makes easier to crop with out loosing resolution or degrading IQ. I print my pictures so this is important to me.

Dynamic Range - This is huge and one of the most important improvements, the recovery of shadows and highlights with out creating noise or image degradation is amazing with the D810, that means you can work it more in post processing.

All of this = better image quality

Provably I can mention other features of the D810 but I think I mentioned the most important.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:09 PM   #173

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Marcelo,

Thanks for the information. Your usage requirements are quite a bit different from mine. The principal reason I got the D300s was for more accurate focusing (for aviation photography) and it was excellent. The D800 basically retains the excellent 54 focus point 3D system from the D300s (maybe improved) which I value. My D300s was showing sings of aging (the flocking around the shutter was disintegrating and depositing itself on the sensor which was impacting my images as dust spots). Therefore, I upgraded to a FF D800. The larger pixel count for me is almost overkill--I try not to crop too much to begin with. The 36 MP's just hog a lot of space on my PC.

Since last month, I traded my D90 in for a D7100 and am very pleased with the results especially in the focusing accuracy. Low light light capability is much improved from the D90. Occasionally I do some dusk/night aviation photography and never had any issues with the D300s or the D90. I cleaned up any visible noise with Photoshop Elements. My images were excellent printed at 11 x 14 (I never printed larger than that size).

Anyhow, thanks for your impressions.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:46 PM   #174

You are welcome Jehan,

You are right about the size of the files, are big and not everybody is ready to handle it. The RAM memory of my computer has no problems working with the 810 files.

One in B&W from the same set:

Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:48 AM   #175

Nikon D7100 + Nikon 300mm f/4 + Nikon Tc 1.7

1. Strange sight a bat flying in day light.

Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:53 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Hi Pascal,

Shooting the Milky Way is very easy and fun to do, you have too be in a place with out light contamination to be able to capture it.

I shoot this picture at the Grand Canyon and the closest town is 1 mile from this point so I had total darkens in the area.

You have to use a lens with a fast aperture 1.4 - 1.8 - 2.0 or 2.8 at least.

With the camera on tripod set you your camera at ISO 100, set your lens to manual and focus in infinity and ISO between 3600 or 6400.

If you are in an area far from any big city you will be able to see the Milky Way.

Let me k now if you have questions.

Marcelo
At first I thought you shot that in NY State and was wondering how in the heck you got where there were no city lights!
Then I saw Grand Canyon...

I really like those Milky Way shots. Outstanding!
Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:53 PM   #177

Hi Jack,

I wish i can have the chance to shoot the Milky Way in NY, the ski has so much light pollution that is impossible to do it here.

I will be traveling next week to Denmark and I am planning to so some night shots with the D810, I will post here at my return.

Happy Holidays.!!!

Marcelo
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:28 AM   #178

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all...
Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:18 PM   #179

Congrats with your D810 Marcello !

I saw again a range of beautiful pictures, well done.
Here I had no time to make pictures and even the pictures I made in the summer holidays aren't converted yet to jpg. Time is a problem. But I know already that I need to learn the D800 a lot deeper because in what I saw from the holiday pictures I know that it should be done better. But it was first use of ofcourse.

Greetings and Happy New Year from Belgium !!

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:03 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
Congrats with your D810 Marcello !

I saw again a range of beautiful pictures, well done.
Here I had no time to make pictures and even the pictures I made in the summer holidays aren't converted yet to jpg. Time is a problem. But I know already that I need to learn the D800 a lot deeper because in what I saw from the holiday pictures I know that it should be done better. But it was first use of ofcourse.

Greetings and Happy New Year from Belgium !!
Thank you Pascal and I hope you had a great Holiday Season.