Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 7, 2013, 10:02 AM   #11

Kinda off topic, but kinda where I'm at is that Google is good to help you find what you are looking for, . . . but what if you don't know what you are looking for.

I sold off one of my dSLRs cheap to a co-worker so that he could play around with one. I told him I'd teach him stuff along the way. When I mentioned the rule of thirds or framing, he had never heard of it.

But thats like me. "I don't know what I don't know." So how do I know to look up something that I don't know exists?

To me, that's one of the powers of these forums. There are so many minds and views of photography that you never really know what to expect when browsing around. And if you read something new / new(ish) it might spark off an idea or a tangent to what you might be doing now.

My personal project 2 years ago was to shoot less with my dSLR and to see if I shot just because I thought it was cool to shoot with a dSLR or whether I actually liked shooting. In the end, I decided that I'd shoot regardless of camera, so although I think gear is cool, I actually do like shooting too.

Last year's project was to shoot more. So I did a 1 pict a week thing. And it got me thinking about shooting more.

My this year thing is to just shoot different. So once I get through a couple of projects I'm working on, I'm hoping to just learn and explore a bunch of random things. Not really sure what I'm looking for. Not quite sure where I'm going. But just want to play a bit.

Granted . . . Google and the Internet is great, because once you stumble on to something, they are there for you to do more research.

But, it's like when my wife says to me, while I'm reading or learning something about photography, you've been reading for 4 years. How can there possibly be anymore to learn about photography. I tell her . . . the camera is just the tool. There can be as many approaches to photography as there are people with cameras. One person might approach it this way, another that way. The possibilities are really kinda infinite.

Kinda random thought, but kinda one possible way the forums are really useful.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 1:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Great series of shots MarceloLi... and whilst I don't shoot Nikon at this time,would be nice to see more from the Nikonites... of which there are many it seems.
A bit off topic- kind of- but one thing I've noticed is that many people seem to be shooting Nikon's in and around towns- and up in the mountains and more peaceful locations there seems to be more Canon shooters...
Curious I know- and I wonder if anyone else has noticed this....?
Thank you Simon,

I didn't notice what you mention but I am part of a photo-club in my area and people that like to shoot BIF usually use Canon because the prices of the long zooms and mora options than Nikon (like the Canon100-400mm f/4.5 - 5.6) but I think the we have more Nikon users in the club than Canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
Kinda off topic, but kinda where I'm at is that Google is good to help you find what you are looking for, . . . but what if you don't know what you are looking for.

I sold off one of my dSLRs cheap to a co-worker so that he could play around with one. I told him I'd teach him stuff along the way. When I mentioned the rule of thirds or framing, he had never heard of it.

But thats like me. "I don't know what I don't know." So how do I know to look up something that I don't know exists?

To me, that's one of the powers of these forums. There are so many minds and views of photography that you never really know what to expect when browsing around. And if you read something new / new(ish) it might spark off an idea or a tangent to what you might be doing now.

My personal project 2 years ago was to shoot less with my dSLR and to see if I shot just because I thought it was cool to shoot with a dSLR or whether I actually liked shooting. In the end, I decided that I'd shoot regardless of camera, so although I think gear is cool, I actually do like shooting too.

Last year's project was to shoot more. So I did a 1 pict a week thing. And it got me thinking about shooting more.

My this year thing is to just shoot different. So once I get through a couple of projects I'm working on, I'm hoping to just learn and explore a bunch of random things. Not really sure what I'm looking for. Not quite sure where I'm going. But just want to play a bit.

Granted . . . Google and the Internet is great, because once you stumble on to something, they are there for you to do more research.

But, it's like when my wife says to me, while I'm reading or learning something about photography, you've been reading for 4 years. How can there possibly be anymore to learn about photography. I tell her . . . the camera is just the tool. There can be as many approaches to photography as there are people with cameras. One person might approach it this way, another that way. The possibilities are really kinda infinite.

Kinda random thought, but kinda one possible way the forums are really useful.
I agree with you and I learned a lot from people in this forum, I always do a research before to buy a lens or use a technique and the forums is the best way to find what you are looking for.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 9:28 AM   #13

Enough talk, more pictures...!

All shot at Lake Aberdeen, WA USA

D7k / Vivitar (Kiron) 75-205 f3.8 Macro (33 year old Manual Focus)
Some light processing

@205mm / f8 / 1/400 / ISO 200

@205mm / f8 / 1/400 / ISO 800

@205mm / f5.6 / 1/400 / ISO 800

@205mm / f8 / 1/800 / ISO 800

@205mm / f8 / 1/640 / ISO 400

@205mm / f5.6 / 1/2500 / ISO 800

Thanks for looking...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 1:29 PM   #14

Hi William,

Great shots, I really like the 1st, 3rd and the Osprey shot.

No more talking here and just posting more pictures:

1. Valley Of Fire - Nevada

2. It was 116 degrees of temperature that day

7. We found water at the dessert from some rain of days before.

10. Elephant Rock

11. Pano of the North side of the Valley

Have a great weekend everyone.

Marcelo
Old May 10, 2013, 2:16 PM   #15

Thanks, Marcelo...!

Great series and commentary...! I liked too many to pick
a favorite, all good...!

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 3:56 PM   #16

@Wizzard, nice series. My fav would be #3. Nice shape against the soft green. And the bird.

@MarceloLi -- Another nice series. Favs have got to be #1, but also #9 with the houses. How old are those structures?

@Wizzard, I hear you on the no more talk, just pictures. I've actually fired off my camera 28,167 times since last fall. But nothing I can post, since the bulk of that has been for a volunteer project that my wife and I are doing for the gymnastics club my 2 daughters are members of. We volunteered to try to get pictures of the approximately 129 gymnasts in order to put together a year-end year book and video for the girls. I don't want to let these girls down, so I've really stopped doing too much with photography outside this project until we get it done. I didn't want to get too side tracked and miss finishing these projects off for the girls. We finished off taking pictures a couple of weeks ago at our gym's annual competition and we were working towards a deadline to select and clean up the pictures for the year book to hand over to the publisher. We just finished that off last night. Now for the next 2 weeks we're concentrating on doing the video for the year end banquet. But coming to the tail end of this project, I was reflecting on what issues I came up against with the equipment I had, and started thinking . . . if we do this project again next year, how would I change up the gear I've got to be able to get better pictures for the girls, so I thought I'd explore and ask around here . . .

Old May 10, 2013, 5:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard0003 View Post
Thanks, Marcelo...!

Great series and commentary...! I liked too many to pick
a favorite, all good...!
Thank you William for the nice feedback.

Enjoy your weekend.

Marcelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
@Wizzard, nice series. My fav would be #3. Nice shape against the soft green. And the bird.

@MarceloLi -- Another nice series. Favs have got to be #1, but also #9 with the houses. How old are those structures?

@Wizzard, I hear you on the no more talk, just pictures. I've actually fired off my camera 28,167 times since last fall. But nothing I can post, since the bulk of that has been for a volunteer project that my wife and I are doing for the gymnastics club my 2 daughters are members of. We volunteered to try to get pictures of the approximately 129 gymnasts in order to put together a year-end year book and video for the girls. I don't want to let these girls down, so I've really stopped doing too much with photography outside this project until we get it done. I didn't want to get too side tracked and miss finishing these projects off for the girls. We finished off taking pictures a couple of weeks ago at our gym's annual competition and we were working towards a deadline to select and clean up the pictures for the year book to hand over to the publisher. We just finished that off last night. Now for the next 2 weeks we're concentrating on doing the video for the year end banquet. But coming to the tail end of this project, I was reflecting on what issues I came up against with the equipment I had, and started thinking . . . if we do this project again next year, how would I change up the gear I've got to be able to get better pictures for the girls, so I thought I'd explore and ask around here . . .

Thank you for commenting, these historic cabins were built with Valley of Fire sandstone by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930ís for travelers, now is a picnic area for tourist.

The photo/video project of your girls sound very intense and interesting, good luck with it.

Regards,

Marcelo
Old May 10, 2013, 8:38 PM   #18

Marcelo, Wizzard -

Thanks for sharing your work; I wish I had more time to just go out and shoot, and a couple better lenses.

I did recently cover a gymnastics meet, D600 w/85 1.8D; vault shots at ISO4000 and 2.2fstop; beam shots at 3200ISO at 2.2, manual exposure. Wish I had the 1.8G for a little more sharpness but work with what I have.

Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.

Last edited by Franko170; May 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: changed a little info on settings
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 9:21 PM   #19

@Franko170,
I love your series! How have you been finding the D600? Did you shoot gymnastics with your D90 Or the other lenses, ie. your f2.8 lenses? And if so, how does it compare to the D600? Do you shoot gymnasts on the floor? My cropped sensor, I was wanting to stay close to iso3200 for the noise (and being at f2.8), but notice that you're mentioning being at iso4000 @ f1.8, so what was your shutter speed? Around 1/1000sec? One of the professionals I spoke to mentioned that he had his camera up around iso8000 with a f1.8 lens. I'm trying to map out some sort of path for gear, if I keep shooting gymnastics. Do I go full frame with f2.8 lenses, or try cropped with f1.8. Looking forwards to your comments.
Take care,
Glen
Old May 10, 2013, 9:46 PM   #20

The pictures I'm taking is meant for the girls, their parents and the club, so I don't have any intentions on ever publishing / posting them myself. If they decide to publish them that's up to them . . . but here are a couple of pictures I took that the club released to a local community magazine.

http://haltonsportsxpress.ca/2013/03...ringers-oh-my/

I'm almost getting the poses, so I figure I can keep working on improving that, but I can see where the cropped sensor is being pushed to the max in this situation, so that's why I'm thinking full frame.